PDA

View Full Version : What Products are Made Using Petroleum /Oil

TheNavigator
July 4th, 2010, 03:50 AM
Here is a short list of items that are made from Petroleum products:

A partial list of products made from Petroleum (144 of 6000 items)

One 42-gallon barrel of oil creates 19.4 gallons of gasoline. The rest (over half) is used to make things like:

Solvents
Diesel fuel
Motor Oil
Bearing Grease
Ink
Floor Wax
Ballpoint Pens
Football Cleats
Upholstery
Sweaters
Boats
Insecticides
Bicycle Tires
Sports Car Bodies
Nail Polish
Fishing lures
Dresses
Tires
Golf Bags
Perfumes
Cassettes
Dishwasher parts
Tool Boxes
Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet
Caulking
Petroleum Jelly
Transparent Tape
CD Player
Faucet Washers
Antiseptics
Clothesline
Curtains
Food Preservatives
Basketballs
Soap
Vitamin Capsules
Antihistamines
Purses
Shoes
Dashboards
Cortisone
Deodorant
Footballs
Putty
Dyes
Panty Hose
Refrigerant
Percolators
Life Jackets
Rubbing Alcohol
Linings
Skis
TV Cabinets
Shag Rugs
Electrician's Tape
Tool Racks
Car Battery Cases
Epoxy
Paint
Mops
Slacks
Insect Repellent
Oil Filters
Umbrellas
Yarn
Fertiizers
Hair Coloring
Roofing
Toilet Seats
Fishing Rods
Lipstick
Denture Adhesive
Linoleum
Ice Cube Trays
Synthetic Rubber
Speakers
Plastic Wood

Electric Blankets
Glycerin
Tennis Rackets
Rubber Cement
Fishing Boots
Dice
Nylon Rope
Candles
Trash Bags
House Paint
Water Pipes
Hand Lotion
Roller Skates
Surf Boards
Shampoo
Wheels
Paint Rollers
Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings
Luggage
Aspirin
Safety Glasses
Antifreeze
Football Helmets
Awnings
Eyeglasses
Clothes
Toothbrushes
Ice Chests
Footballs
Combs
CDs & DVD's
Paint Brushes
Detergents
Vaporizers
Balloons
Sun Glasses
Tents
Heart Valves
Crayons
Parachutes
Telephones
Enamel
Pillows
Dishes
Cameras
Anesthetics
Artificial Turf
Artificial limbs
Bandages
Dentures
Model Cars
Folding Doors
Hair Curlers
Cold cream
Movie film
Soft Contact lenses
Drinking Cups
Fan Belts
Car Enamel
Shaving Cream
Ammonia
Refrigerators
Golf Balls
Toothpaste
Gasoline

Americans consume petroleum products at a rate of three-and-a-half gallons of oil and more than
250 cubic feet of natural gas per day each! But, as shown here petroleum is not just used for fuel. http://www.ranken-energy.com/Products%20from%20Petroleum.htm

I don't think we realize just how involved Oil is in our everyday life...I think it worth looking into alternatives for some of the products that use oil...for example there are perfectly good toothpastes that do not use petroleum products.

What do you think...how do we reduce the amount of oil we need to continue our lifestyles? What can we do without and what can we find alternatives for?

((Hugs))

Shannon

Kiran
July 4th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Good thread Shannon! One thing you missed here is baby oil!! Most people do not realise this is a mineral and not vegetable based oil. I would never use it on my kids...I used to use good old fashioned sunflower oil. These oils only coat the skin to keep in moisture and act as a barrier. Vegetable oils do the same thing but also feed and nourish the skin. I use Grapeseed oil after a shower as a body moisturiser and it is so much better for the skin.

Narnia
July 4th, 2010, 12:49 PM
I knew the petro/oil list was grossly extensive and it is truly amazing to see just how dependent the whole Human Race has become on varying Plastics grades for various needs and applications ... it's not just limited to plastic bottles and petro/gas/oil to fuel vechiles.

Plastics are in our homes and have become so intergrated in our daily lives, that I don't think there is a way to revert that on a grand scale so, the oil industry isn't going anywhere ... unfortnately the dependency on oil is far too great and we all know the owner of these oil companies are blatantly exploitting the industry because of greed. And though we, the consumers, may not like to admit it, (and here I am not supporting the industry one bit ... but just saying) ... the uses for petro/oil have helped further our technologies and understandings of the World and Universe ... so it's 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'.

All of this said ... there are ways to reduce the usage/dependency on petro/oil ... which is extremely importnat for every little bit does count.

Thank you, Shannon, for your efforts in the creation of this important thread my dear friend ... it is important to be properly informed!! :)

BlueStar
July 4th, 2010, 01:47 PM
WOW that's quite a list...definitely petroleum and plastics are around us in so many hundreds/thousands of different ways. And yet, I do believe that if our ingenuity was sufficiently focussed we could find sustainable alternatives and the same goes for fuel and power. The question is, are we sufficiently motivated yet and is government investing enough money into research? Until now I think these big corporations have had too much power and influence over government. They may not be going away anytime soon, but their power needs to be kept in check. Least that's how I currently sees it ;)

TheNavigator
July 4th, 2010, 09:30 PM
What I find interesting is that companies state how expensive it is to recycle many of the plastics etc, and yet we know that if it was mandatory, or that consumers would only buy recycled product the big business's would develop the means by which to efficiently recycle the product at a lower cost and much more effectively. Supply and Demand.

I think to that we need to look at going back to some of the ways we abandoned for plastic, such as using glass containers again for certain things etc...especially food items seeing as plastics actually leach a certain amount of toxins into the food products etc.

And we defiantly need to do more research and development for ways to recycle better, because honestly if we could truly reuse the plastics already created we would again eliminate a chunk of the oil consumption.

Also, I think we need to pay closer attention to manufacturing practices...sometimes the consumption of fuels is far larger for one type of product then another...which one outweighs the other.

Sheesh...wish it wasn't quite so complicated.

Shannon

PS...now I know why the media and government are targeting cars at the moment...much easier sell...less complicated...LOL.:)