PDA

View Full Version : Supervolcanos

Lion Spirit Walker
June 23rd, 2010, 11:24 PM
I'm not initiating this thread due to or to cause fear. :arghh.2: [lol. Dry humor, pardon me.] It is simply to discuss the very real existance of 'supervolcanos' upon this planet we all share. And the real possibility of such an event occurring within this time of our generation or the following generation.
This was prompted by an event which occurred several hours ago. An M 5.0 occurred along the southern boarder between Ontario and Quebec, Canada, very near the USA.
I've watched smaller reoccurring quakes happen within this same area for some time now. However, there are no fault lines within this area. The quake which occurred earlier today was very shallow for a quake of this magnitude (1.4 miles deep), which prompted me to do a bit of research.
What I found was this...
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/Blake_River_Megacaldera_Complex_map.jpg
What this is is extensive amounts of active magma (and please forgive me for not using proper terminology here) moving just beneath the surface crust.
Due to the clustered activity being as large as it is, it is put in line with supervolcanos by volcanologists. [The source of this information was found on Wikipedia.]
Considering todays quake, it's apparent that the Earth has a bit of indigestion to put it lightly.
Now at last count geologist and volcanologist were aware of 10 supervolcanos. Although only 6 are listed at the wikipedia website. 1 in Japan, 1 in New Zealand, 1 in Indonesia, and 3 in the USA. [LOL. Lucky US. :hyper2:. Lol. More dry humor.] Wikipedia sites a Discovery program. Where as my count comes from a recent Nova program. And 'yes', I will find additional source information. Wikipedia lists their source information if your interested in reviewing it at the site.
Now apparently these supervolcanos errupt in cycles of time. Some periods or cycles are known, others are not. One specific supervolcano's cycle has been exceeded. I don't believe I need to mention which one. Where another has come due. Again, I will not mention which one.
Should any of these supervolcanos errupt within the near future as is possible, 'global warming' immediately becomes a mute issue. What will follow such an erruption is in fact the opposite, an 'ice age'. It's estimated that a rapid drop of 30 degrees F. will occur globally. Another effect of such an erruption will be mass extinction and our global society will be brought to it's knees.
There is no doubt that these errruptions of supervolcanos will occur, it's just a matter of time.
Now my question is do we discuss the implications of such an event? Or do we engage in what I fondly call 'three monkey syndrome', closing our eyes to this reality while telling ourselves repeatedly "It will never happen, it will never happen, it will never happen."???
I understand that discussing this 'reality' will not change it. But with increased awareness comes a greater understanding.

:arghh.2:
[Hehehe]

Lion Spirit Walker
June 23rd, 2010, 11:39 PM
An additional note if I may. I chose this forum due to this issue being one which we can never resolve. However, we can most certainly discuss it from our unique perspectives.
If it is felt that this thread would be better suited elsewhere, please feel free to relocate it.
;)

Narnia
June 25th, 2010, 12:27 AM
An additional note if I may. I chose this forum due to this issue being one which we can never resolve. However, we can most certainly discuss it from our unique perspectives.

I understand what you are saying here ... though it is not a topic to become 'heated' ... (see what I did there 'heated' ... 'supervolcanoes') ... moving on ... and or cause any serious debate ....

If it is felt that this thread would be better suited elsewhere, please feel free to relocate it.
;)

So ... me thinks it shall be moved to the Gaia forum ... :)

Respectfully, ~ Polly ~

Lion Spirit Walker
June 25th, 2010, 11:34 PM
[Hehehehe.} Tyvm. :)

Lion Spirit Walker
June 26th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Found a report by National Geographic about a cluster of supervolcanos being found in Chili, Argentina, and Venezuela with the largest of them and all other known supervolcanos being in Argentina.
And I would like to add that trying to do legitamate research on this topic is a real bear. Everyone online is carrying on about 2012. Let's be serious people.
Also, trying to find a current count has been difficult to say the least. But I shall endevour in my search for legit information that is up to date.

Kiran
June 29th, 2010, 11:04 AM
Hmm....this is very interesting although unnerving reading Michael. While in Lanzarote, we went across some old lava fields and there is nothing...absolutley nothing except razor sharp rocks. The last eruption occurred in the late 1700's and only just now is the most basic forms of plant life trying to grow on this rock.
We saw the craters left behind and if this is still barren after 300 years....well....?
I truly feel that the earth is not going to blow up or disappear anytime soon personally. I do feel that life on her surface however is a different matter, especially the human species if we don't cop on and get ourselves straightened out!!
Just my tuppence worth and thank you Michael for doing the research you have done :)

Lion Spirit Walker
July 10th, 2010, 03:12 AM
I actually find the topic of real interest considering the Earth and many other planets and moons are volcanic. And the Earth being such was an apparent active ingredient in the mix of Life.
And Life will always find a way, irregardless of volcanos and other chaotic events.
;)