PDA

View Full Version : It's official: the best way to save the planet is to stop eating meat!

BlueStar
June 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM
I just wanted to share an article I found very important, published yesterday in The Guardian and probably elsewhere as well.

As the population on planet continues to explode (can you really believe we're on course for a population of 9.1 billion by 2050?!), the way we live has GOT to change. We've unquestionably reached the 'bottle neck' in history, in which our dwindling resources are stretched to almost breaking point. If we're to survive we have to change the way we're doing things. And this report from the UN highlights that the only way we can avert world hunger and deal with climate change is for people to shift toward a vegan diet.

Check out the article yourself: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet (http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2010/jun/02/un-report-meat-free-diet)

It's heartening to read this. It's impossible to escape the conclusion that as a species, we have to change. The way we're doing things is simply untenable and clearly unsustainable.

planetlove
June 5th, 2010, 01:40 AM
This is the news that I like to read ...
Thanks for the post...
I read it some time ago on another site but ..it being public in the news paper is where it needs to be ...
ima veggie head ..v loves his veggies

TheNavigator
June 5th, 2010, 04:53 PM
OK...here is a question.

If we are truly the creators of this lovely planet and of our futures...why would be allow ourselves and this planet to go through such a population explosion that would wipe out so much of what Mother EArth is all about...and why would we choose to put ourselves into such a situation?

Just a thought...:)...and while one ponders that...if we are going to go that direction we really do have to change the mentality of our world into one of caretakers instead of takers.

Peace

Shannon

BlueStar
June 6th, 2010, 12:57 PM
That is a brilliant question Shannon and worthy of a topic in itself.

To me the answer is quite simple. As a species, we've been living unconsciously, completely ignorant of the fact we're connected with each other and the planet. rooted in this false sense of separation, humankind has adopted a selfish, greedy, grasping, ruthless mentality. Nature has been viewed as a resource to 'conquer'. The worlds of business, media and politics reveal how we've created this mentality of 'dog eat dog', super-materialism and greed, in which we don't care who we trample on so long as we get to the top ourselves. This basic dysfunction, rooted in ignorance, unconsciousness and an out of control ego mechanism, has clearly created so many problems. And now we must acknowledge them and deal with them.

I don't believe new scientific developments or understandings or even new political systems will change the problems we confront. Heck, for all our sophisticated technology, we can't even stop a pipe from leaking oil into the sea. The root cause of all our problems is a low level of consciousness. And the only way to change that is for a rise in consciousness, individually and collectively. As I think Einstein once said, you can never solve a problem with the same level of consciousness that created it.

That's what I truly believe, and I am passionate about trying to find ways to help people do just that. And time and time I realise that it always begins with the self first of all...and then the waves of change can ripple outward.

TheNavigator
June 6th, 2010, 05:22 PM
((Blue))

I won't disagree with you as I know that this is true from a human perspective, and while we are seeing changes in our countries, there are so many that are removed from the information that they don't even have an opportunity to chose a different pathway.

I'll also agree that it starts with self, but then of course the question is how to relate it to the world in a manner that can be received.

We face a reality that hinders what we are doing worldwide and that reality is that people in general are terrified of change...I'm no exception in many ways, and while I continue to work at that one most people are unaware of this within themselves.

I think that is why it takes years and sometimes generation to create a lasting change in social value etc.

An example of this is the environmental issues we are facing today and the big push to shift the mentality worldwide around it...we are now starting a panic using the Greenhouse Effect as the vehicle, and for some reason it is finally taking off although they tried using it many years ago to start this ball rolling, but it ended up by the way side.

The truth is that there is enough evidence to suggest that we have relatively little impact on the Greenhouse issue, however when I look at it I'm aware that the really major problems surrounding production such as the fact that we are truly running out of raw materials and stripping our earth of trees, plants, minerals etc to produce through away products that then go into our landfills.

I could go on and on...but the point is that finally the Greenhouse issue has taken hold...so based on the fears of change that people have, they now have a bigger fear to focus on...so even though I don't agree with it completely I'm on board whole hog because I know it is an acceptable avenue in which we can make true changes.

I really believe that by using the current materialistic mentality, greed and ego we can actually make the changes necessary and in doing so I believe that people will start to open their eyes and see...begin to transcend these things and see that they don't loose anything by being a better human being.

Does that make sense?

In other words...there is resistance to the tree hugger or passionate activist, but if we appeal to their ideals then all of a sudden things change for the better and with relative little resistance.

It's what we do when we are teaching children, we come to their level of understanding and utilize what they relate to in order to teach them how to read, write etc.

I really think this is an important subject, and believe that we are able and capable of making changes and hopeful that as a human race we will actually get it at some point.

But the question that I posed actually has more to do with us in the spiritual realm, not so much when we are here, but would we as spirits continue to populate the planet with such strife evident?

Peace

Shannon

Samael
June 6th, 2010, 09:50 PM
To bad for the planet :D lol But seriously, there is never only one answer.. Modification of how we use our resources in general is the real answer.. Change for gas to natural gas and electric cars and vehicles in general and use of alternative and nuclear power are also important.

BlueStar
June 7th, 2010, 12:20 PM
In other words...there is resistance to the tree hugger or passionate activist, but if we appeal to their ideals then all of a sudden things change for the better and with relative little resistance.

That's an excellent point. There is a great deal of resistance to certain things; people generally tend to be very closed to new ideas and are quick to categorise and label and then no matter what you say, all they're seeing is the label the have in their minds. Asking a mind and ego to jettison its entire worldview is like asking it to commit suicide. Now, some of us are truly ready and able to question everything and willing to let go of all the old mindsets and old ways of doing things. Some people are so deeply entrenched in their mental schemas and conditioning/habits/beliefs that they would rather die.

The answer? I believe it's showing people that there is an alternative, that our level of consciousness and mindsets are something fluidic and adaptable and that by changing ourselves, we change our lives and the worlds. We can't make other people change, though. Even if it's for their own darn good, even if its as plain as the nose on their face, some people just refuse. But we can change ourselves and maybe in so doing change the world. I always remember the 100th monkey analogy and I do believe that when enough people start doing things a certain way, these new ways of behaviour, thinking and doing things gradually take root in consciousness and make it easier for others to do likewise.

But the question that I posed actually has more to do with us in the spiritual realm, not so much when we are here, but would we as spirits continue to populate the planet with such strife evident?

Good question! I guess everyone must answer that for themselves. Another excellent idea for a topic in itself :) There's a horrible building site next door to us, very controversial as the property developer has done some dirty deals and instead of building two small bungalows as was originally permitted in the planning guidelines for the area, he's building 8 two-storie houses, cramming them into a small space to get maximum profit. The site is like the personification of human greed and its filled with concrete, and all kinds of debris and mess. And yet there are flowers springing up amid the ugliness, masses of bright yellow buttercups. They don't care where they spring up. They don't care about the circumstances around them, they just appear because it's their nature to appear and just be beautiful. I think maybe life is a bit like that. We're here because it's our nature to be here, the same way as its the nature of flowers to appear wherever they can, even if it means in the cracks in cement. Hope that makes some kind of sense. Thanks for your comments Shannon I enjoyed reading them

BlueStar
June 7th, 2010, 12:24 PM
To bad for the planet :D lol But seriously, there is never only one answer.. Modification of how we use our resources in general is the real answer.. Change for gas to natural gas and electric cars and vehicles in general and use of alternative and nuclear power are also important.

True, there's never only one answer. I guess the point being made by the writers of the report is that a change in our diet is one of the most important steps we can take right now. Or at least being aware of the way what we eat has an impact on the planet. But definitely, we need to explore how we use our resources in every area of life and be more conscious in how our choices our impacting the environment, each other and future generations. I'm really glad to see this awareness spreading. We all have a part to play :)

Lion Spirit Walker
June 8th, 2010, 07:28 AM
As I've asked so often; If not Us, than Who. And if not Now, than When.
My wise and wonderful friend BlueStar you raise an excellent point of 'reality' upon this planet Earth.
Myself and others have raised our banners in our efforts to bring about change over the years of our lifetimes. Despite being repeatedly dismissed as treehuggers and over exaggerating this very real situation. Such dismissle countinues even to this day, as if I really have to state this.
I continue trying where and when I can, understanding that I am not as capable as I once was to bring forth such changes within our society. But again I am dismissed as not having a grasp on reality.
I went through a period, as you well know of lashing out at people. Telling them to open their eyes. LOL. And again, I was out of touch with reality.
Both of my parents are deceased. But there has always been one question I've wanted to ask of them and their generation; Why did you allow this to become so extreme and out of hand?
I will not make the mistakes they did. Life, All Life is far to precious to dismiss in such a manner. So I openly communicate with my nieces and nephews as well as others who upon meeting me were children and are now young adults. I tell them of all this and they understand it's truth and importance. In this way I hope to make some change.
And for those of you who read this and have children of your own or are in positions to influence the growth of children, these children become annoyed with the ignorance of the older generations as they age and realize what in fact they are being dealt to live with upon this planet.
And if you feel that what I've just said causes you to dismiss me, by all means. But remember that doing doesn't change what is Now.
If Not Us, Than Who? If Not Now, Than When?

Lion Spirit Walker
June 8th, 2010, 07:38 AM
If I may add an additional note...
I completely agree that change must come from within. But how long have we been saying this???
To say something, to know something is empty where there is no understanding of actually doing something to change the outcome.

-Pardon me. This issue stokes the fire within my heart. Life is too important to be wasted in such a gross manner.

BlueStar
June 8th, 2010, 03:09 PM
Thanks for your words Michael. I totally get you. I posted this on my blog and had a backlash from a certain person who said that I had no right to impose what I thought on other people. Well, I don't believe sharing this important article was imposing anything. I admit I am a very ardent vegetarian and I am very fiery when it comes to the horrendous suffering the meat industry and human unconsciousness inflicts on animals and the planet. And I make no apology for that. I have been an activist since I was about 12 years old on environmental issues! And I actually think that's one of the better things about me, especially when I look around and see that the majority of people of my generation just don't give a damn about anything. That's their prerogative and it doesn't make me any 'better' in any way, just maybe a bit more aware of the bigger picture. Maybe.

The issues raised by the study referenced here are not ideologies or opinions but are facts. We have to change the way we do things quite substantially. Yet most people don't want to acknowledge this. The thing is, most meat eaters are quite happy eating meat and have no intention of changing the habits of a lifetime and just don't want to hear any argument against it. They're not open to considering any alternatives. The same with people who consume more than their fair share of resources - I...irked...when I see people driving about in their massive four by fours, which are just needless gas guzzlers. Most people don't want to change and are quick to justify their actions. Their actions, beliefs and behaviours are usually fuelled by unconsciousness, reflex reactions and conditioning. These are the people that most need to wake up from this and be willing to see things differently and be willing to do things differently.

What can I do? What can anyone do? We are responsible for ourselves primarily, and the change has to begin with us. I know thats a cliche, but at least it's a true one. How do we make other people aware? Is it even possible when most people are stuck within their own little mindwarps and are not happy to accomodate alternative viewpoints - or even just plain facts that happen to fly in the face of their worldviews and idelologies/life choices? I don't know. I'm walking the tightrope of accepting that everyone has the right to be as they are and do as they see fit, while also being aware that in many cases, in terms of the whole - the planet and this one organism called humanity, of which we are all but cells - what they are currently doing and being is not good enough. Is it ultimately my responsibility to change the world and everyone in it? No... But I feel I must try. If we don't consciously choose to change and live more harmoniously with the whole, then I fear life will impose the necessary changes on us, forcibly. Nature has an incredible and unstoppable way of restoring balance, sometimes violently so. I think we can either choose to come into alignment with the natural balance, or we'll be made to do so. Or we'll just be wiped out as a species, which is another possible option. It's our choice. In many ways we're still an ignorant, child-race and it's unquestionably time that we grow up. (Why I find my refuge in MW is that I'm surrounded by so many grown ups here lol! :))

Lion Spirit Walker
June 8th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Wonderful. Well done my dear friend. I most certainly stand with you, without hesitation.It is so very much a matter of 'grow up' or 'step aside'. And as you put it so true, nature isn't always nice to those who do not adapt and grow. The term 'Mass Extinction' comes to mind.

Lion Spirit Walker
June 9th, 2010, 09:50 PM
I was reminded today of why the world remains as it is locked into a course of destruction...
They relinquish their validity in Being in Truth.