PDA

View Full Version : Beltane

Kiran
May 4th, 2010, 10:54 AM
I thought it might be interesting to post some of the older, pagan festivals as much of what christianity celebrates is based in these celebrations. I am going to post some of the history and also what it means for us now....hope you enjoy!

Beltane is the anglicized spelling of Bealtaine or Bealltainn ,the Gaelic names for either the month of May or the festival that takes place on the first day of May. It also means the fires of (the god) Bel.
The lighting of bonfires on mountains and hills of ritual and political significance was one of the main activities of the festival.
Another common aspect of the festival was the hanging of May Boughs on the doors and windows of houses and the erection of May Bushes in farmyards, which usually consisted either of a branch of rowan or more commonly whitethorn/sceach geal (hawthorn) which is in bloom at the time and is commonly called the 'May Bush' or just 'May' in Hiberno-English. The practice of decorating the May Bush with flowers, ribbons, garlands and colored egg shells has survived till today.
It is interesting to note here that Rowan (mountain ash) and hawthorn were trees of protection - against anything that may affect the fertility of the animals and earth and the home.
In Irish mythology, the beginning of the summer season for the Tuatha Dé Danann and the Milesians started at Bealtaine. Great bonfires would mark a time of purification and transition, heralding in the season in the hope of a good harvest later in the year, and were accompanied with ritual acts to protect the people from any harm by Otherworldly spirits, such as the Aos SÃ*. Like the festival of Samhain, opposite Beltane on October 31 Beltane was also a time when the Otherworld was seen as particularly close at hand.
Early Gaelic sources from around the 10th century state that the druids of the community would create a need-fire on top of a hill on this day and drive the village's cattle through the fires to purify them and bring luck (Eadar dÃ* theine Bhealltainn in Scottish Gaelic, 'Between two fires of Beltane'). This term is also found in Irish and is used as a turn of phrase to describe a situation which is difficult to escape from. In Scotland, boughs of juniper were sometimes thrown on the fires to add an additional element of purification and blessing to the smoke. People would also pass between the two fires to purify themselves. This was echoed throughout history after Christianization, with lay people instead of Druid priests creating the need-fire.

This is a time to celebrate death and re-birth, the Circle of Life. To encourage the Light into our day/lives and for creativity. Any plans we may have on the back burner, or ideas, now is a good time to look at them with renewed eyes and energy and to bring them to fruition.
This is a time of great buidling of energy after the lull of winter and a great time of celebration...looking forward.

I light a candle (fire) to welcome the coming light (longer days) and allow my creativity to come forth. I celebrate all the cycles of life and keep this candle lit to allow the Light to remain in my life.
And so let it be.

Lion Spirit Walker
May 4th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Well Done.
I like this idea very much. Ty.

Lion Spirit Walker
May 5th, 2010, 04:22 AM
The three candles are aglow as I've begun listening to my Enya collection.
It is a fine night to feel Alive.

:two hearts:

Kiran
May 5th, 2010, 08:19 AM
It certainly is my friend! And I am glad you liked the thread. I shall try and finish with a practical ritual that can be done :)

Lion Spirit Walker
May 6th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Very nice. Tyvm. :)

Narnia
May 6th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I light a candle (fire) to welcome the coming light (longer days) and allow my creativity to come forth. I celebrate all the cycles of life and keep this candle lit to allow the Light to remain in my life.
And so let it be.

I love this .... makes for an excellent mantra! :) :two hearts:

Kiran
May 6th, 2010, 03:10 PM
I love this .... makes for an excellent mantra! :) :two hearts:

Glad you got what it was honey ;) And glad you enjoyed it :)

Lion Spirit Walker
May 8th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Of course I had to bring a Good Knot to the thread. ;)
http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss70/psy_Michael/celtic-bird-5.gif

Lion Spirit Walker
May 8th, 2010, 04:27 AM
And one so that it may be eternal...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxDWGud8pDY

Kiran
May 8th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Oh thank you for posting the knot Michael...very cool!!!