PDA

View Full Version : Putting It To The Vote

Lion Spirit Walker
April 13th, 2010, 06:25 AM
Should Tobacco Company Products be placed under the same scrutiny and accountability as Drugs and Alcohol???

Yes
No
or 'I couldn't care less'
I had recently quit smoking (4 weeks ago & no cravings. YES!), but even before than I had always felt that the public is being wrongfully treated with regard to tobacco products.

Kiran
April 13th, 2010, 11:27 AM
Added my vote!!

Mr. Brightside
April 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM
Well done for quitting smoking Michael, i know from experience how hard it can be.. :o How did you manage to quit with no cravings?

Starting smoking was probably the stupidest thing I ever done, Then you could buy cigarettes very cheaply and there was no restrictiions on who could buy them. Advertising was everywhere, Most adults seemed to smoke and on TV and film everybody had a cigarette in their hand. It seemed at the time a normal thing to do, It must be ok and good for you to smoke otherwise all these people would not do it.

If it was not good for you... everybody who smoked must be insane... or they have been led to belive otherwise and trapped into a never ending vicious circle of Nicotine Addiction.

Obviously it is the latter, i dont pretend that I was forced to smoke, At the age of 13 I thought it was cool and wanted to fit in with everybdy else, But if cigagettes were not so cheap and readily available to anybody of any age maybe I wouldnt have started..

So I continued to smoke and every quit attemp failed miserably, I was trapped. Nicotine is a very very powerful fast acting drug that can hook you in no time at all and keeped you hooked for life.

People should be knowledgable about nicotine addiction (especially children) and it should be drummed into their heads about the dangers of smoking, the illnesses and the money and filth that goes with it. Cigarette advertising should be banned completely

what rattles me is the fact people who smoke are now seen as some strange little evil cult who hang about outside public buildings and are and vilified, Its the cigarette manufacturers who need to be held accountable and the people who smoke given all the help they can to quit the horrible weed.

I remember eating candy cigarettes when i was a child, who the hell came up with that idea :wacko1:

http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com/cartoon/images/Popeye/popeye-cigarettes.JPG

Narnia
April 13th, 2010, 01:17 PM
As everyone who knows me ... I have never smoked in my Life and I never will (no cigarettes, no cigars, no pipes and none of that other stuff) ... because firstly the habit stinks, secondly its unhealthy, thirdly it has become an expansive habit, and fourthly somehow I just never saw the 'coolness' in a habit that stems from 'peer pressure' (what a load of crock) and also being nervous ... and the concept of filling ones lungs with smoke just didn't 'click' with me.

Please, I mean no disrespect to any smokers and former-smokers out there ... it is just how I feel about it ....

So, yes the Tabacco Industry should held accountable for taking advantage of peoples insecurities which in turn leads people into doing other unhealthy addictive habits.

Anyhoo ....

A BIG Congratulations to you Michael and Sean for taking your Life into own hands ....

You are the Master(s) of YourSelf(ves)!!!

planetlove
April 13th, 2010, 01:42 PM
A BIG Congratulations to you Michael and Sean for taking your Life into own hands ....

You are the Master(s) of YourSelf(ves)!!!...

well said....

Im sorry to say I did not vote to either of the options ....

Alcohol and drugs are what they are ...
and there is no blame to be put on anybody or anything
or
put anything in category's
or
I'm not making the choice that it should be put under scrutiny...

It's like saying because you are the way you are I will judge you and put you in a category ....or have other people follow in suite with your decision...

"Being the master of making better choices for thy self" is what i'm going to vote for in here....
and your both on the right track cheers, toast, bravo

God's Toy
April 13th, 2010, 07:09 PM
Moved from Home to here...

Yep smoked for many years and off them about 7 or so. best thing I ever did.

Lion Spirit Walker
April 14th, 2010, 01:07 AM
My sincerest appreciation to each of you. It truly makes a real difference reading each of your post and expressed thoughts. It's empowering in a way I had never expected. Thank you very much.
I've quit smoking several times in the past for as long as one to eleven months. But this time it's very different. I have no craving, no desire to smoke ever again. It's simply not within my psyche.
It's difficult for myself to explain. So I'll simply say 'I want my life back.' And this includes optimal health.
Much more can be said, but I believe each of you understand.
And GT, ty for placing this into the appropriate forum. When I initiated this I wasn't sure as to the best place for it. And 'Well Done' on your having quit smoking.

Rana
April 16th, 2010, 02:20 PM
hi micheal and more power to you for not smoking ..i watched a show the other nite and they reccommend licorice syrup in water as often as you like helps cut any cravings etc ..

Logio
May 8th, 2010, 10:55 PM
Tobacco increases healthcare costs. It will be especially detrimental to state (government) funded healthcare programs.

little bird
May 10th, 2010, 12:24 AM
So many illnesses can be directly tracked back to tobacco consumption that it is still so surprising to me that tobacco is still such a big problem in this day and age, considering all the knowledge we have about it. Although I voted yes to this, I still say that governments hold a lot of responsibility too. Most can do much more to quell the habit in their countries. I know they definitely could here in Ireland. BUt the tax revenue usually proves to be the obvious reasons to keep the market buoyant which I find disgusting.

You can probably tell that I am not a smoker and thankful and proud to say, I never have been. My father was a heavy smoker for years and although his habit is greatly reduced, he still smokes. He suffers from very bad asthma as a result. He gave up for a couple of years and never had to use an inhaler during that time but sadly, he started smoking again last year. I was really disappointed. My brother also smokes, as does his girlfriend and one of the most bewildering of all, my younger sister smokes but only socially. That means she only smokes when she is out with friends having a few drinks. I don't even see the point in that. I grew up around smokers all my life and just think it's a great shame that these people that I love, are slave to this tiny stick. And for what? A quick fix that slowly robs them of life? Robs them of health too during that life? Is that worth it? Really?

Anyway, I'll get off my soap box before I get really into it and I don't want to offend anyone.

Congratulations Michael and Sean for quitting. Much respect from me on that. I know it isn't easy but you're doing the right thing.

Lion Spirit Walker
May 10th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Tyvm Little Bird. Your expressed perspective is sincerely appreciated.
Even though it's been several months since I lasy craved a cigarette (or had one), I still grab for a piece of nictine gum on rare occassions like now. The expressed thoughts within this thread and elsewhere are truly appreciated as wise reminders for not only myself, but anyone else who may one day read this while attempting to release themselves from the addiction.
LOL. One thing I 'really' like about not smoking anymore is the extra cash in my account each month. Hehehe. It's very fun incentive. :)

Samael
July 18th, 2010, 12:31 AM
I never smoked, don't drink very much, some would say that one Mojito in 2 months would be described as not drinking at all and I never did drugs.. I think that people should be educated about that these things to to your body, but not taxed or banned in any way.. If people want something like this, they will find it.. In the end, we are only responsible for ourselves and its a matter of choice..

My mum stopped smoking after 30 years of smoking, she told me that it was not as bad as she thought it would be, she thought that would need some kind of product or something else, but not, after her breast cancer surgery, she just stooped.. But, I guess shock and some other things worked for this...

wolfspirit
May 7th, 2011, 09:53 PM
I use to try to smoke... But it just wasn't for me... Other people just relied on it as something to do with there time. It does however affect your health and the health of others. But people will do what people will do... Everyone have a blessed day.
Wolf spirit

Kiran
May 7th, 2011, 10:03 PM
You too honey and good to see you here :)
Lorri