PDA

View Full Version : Encourage Responcible Pet Adoption

Lion Spirit Walker
February 27th, 2010, 07:48 AM
All too often animals are adopted on impulse or in some cases with cruel intent.
These animals are then neglected, inhumanely treated, abandoned, or worse.
Where ever possible, encourage people to seriously consider the responcibilities of adopting an animal. Encourage them to learn all they can about the animal they're considering for adoption. And if they can't truly commit to the proper care of the animal, discourage the adoption.
And most importantly, if your aware of an animal being abused contact the proper authorities.
All Life is precious. And should always be treated as such.

BlueStar
February 27th, 2010, 07:29 PM
Abolsutely agree, Michael! There are so many poor needy animals stuffed in shelters. It upsets me so much when I think about the immense cruelty animals endure. My dogs are both rescue dogs, and I think I will always now ensure that if I am in the position to give an animal a home it would be through adoption. Thank you for your comments, a very important message indeed :)

Kiran
February 27th, 2010, 08:32 PM
Totally agree with both your comments and as someone who has adopted animals...including a snake...I learned that he can live for up to 25 years and that we need to be aware of this when taking him in. I am so happy we did as he has brought much to our lives as has Tiny and the cats that seem to pass through with us.
Good call guys :)

Lion Spirit Walker
February 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM
An additional thought on this topic.
Consider giving a financial donation or volunteer at a local adoption center. Even if it's only a minimal amount of money or time, every little bit counts.
I have an amazing bond with Psy, my cockatoo. She means the world to me. I couldn't even begin to imagine what her life might be like if she were to have been adopted by someone with less respect and regard for her.
Too many people treat animals as if they are disposable funiture.

BlueStar
February 28th, 2010, 07:15 PM
Great suggestion. I absolutely agree with you - you know, I don't admit this often, but in some ways I feel closer to animals than many humans. Animals have greater integrity, aliveness and authenticity than the average person - because they aren't entrapped in mind and deadening conceptualisations and ego, they are truly alive and in their own way enlightened. They haven't lost their connection with being yet, as most humans have. Being around animals is tremendously healing and enlightening...they are our teachers and our healers. Maybe this is why I have always been such a proponent of animal rights and why there are few things that hurt me so much as animal cruelty. I wish I could do more...

Lion Spirit Walker
February 28th, 2010, 09:41 PM
Now it's my turn to say "You Rock!"
I'm with you 100%.

Rana
March 5th, 2010, 11:01 AM
the RSPCA in Victoria here in Australia has taken out a policy they want made national that sayd you have to basically pass their test before you are deemed responsible to have a pet ..ill have to properly check their site but i think thats awesome in every sense ..very beautiful xx finally !

Lion Spirit Walker
March 6th, 2010, 03:59 AM
It is good practise.