PDA

View Full Version : Help stop the Canadian seal hunts

BlueStar
February 10th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Please read, take action and spread word.

http://www.hsicanada.ca/wildlife/seals/seal_hunt_2010/grey_seals_2810.html

Thank you :) Last year significant breakthroughs were made, but the Canadians who ought to be ashamed of themselves, continue to dig their heels in. It will have to change.

Krash
February 10th, 2010, 10:19 PM
Hey, we don't ALL slaughter seals!! There are no seals by my house!

Lion Spirit Walker
February 11th, 2010, 12:13 AM
They're doing it in Alaska too.

Lion Spirit Walker
February 11th, 2010, 12:14 AM
Oh... And scots make sporrans from seal pelts.

Lion Spirit Walker
February 11th, 2010, 04:47 AM
The innuit peoples of the arctic north american continent hunt and use every part of the animal.
I think with regard to this subject it might be more a question of why the animals are hunted.?.

BlueStar
February 11th, 2010, 12:24 PM
Hey, we don't ALL slaughter seals!! There are no seals by my house!

I'll let you off the hook then ;) But if you are in agreement I do urge you to make your voice heard, as a Canadian your voice surely carries greater weight.

The innuit peoples of the arctic north american continent hunt and use every part of the animal.
I think with regard to this subject it might be more a question of why the animals are hunted.?.

http://www.olympicshame2010.com/Why.aspx

That's the why of it.

Frankly the why doesn't matter nearly so much as a more important question: what are we going to do about it? That's a good website, I do recommend it. There are some sickening descriptions of what these hunters actually do...but thankfully there are ways to help.

planetlove
February 11th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I signed it......
I have signed this before .....

All I really have to say is to forgive them......
Release this burden from your mind ....
Free your mind to free yourself....

In loves light
V

BlueStar
February 11th, 2010, 05:29 PM
Thank you Varune :) Your words were just what I needed, because I did get quite upset when I read some of the horrific details of what they do. Seals are such beautiful animals. Animal cruelty is one of the things which tends to hit me hardest. But you are right, it's important to act and forgive at the same time. Adding more negativity to the situation won't help anything.

brother
February 12th, 2010, 04:33 AM
BlueStar,

I Love your passion!! Having grown up in Canada this has been a subject every year. I have to tell you that it is not as bad as it used to be...they are a little more humane about it all...and not as many continue this tradition.

With all of these types of things I maintain that people stopped using the pelts, then there would be no market for them, thus the slaughter stops.

So while I agree with going after the hunters, however we really need to go after those the purchase those products as well.

I mean remember when there was a big thing for several years about buying and wearing real fur coats??? Well...it used to be that you'd see a fur store every other block...and now one or two remain...so I have to believe that the whole thing worked to a larger degree.

OK...that's my two and a half cents worth...:).

Peace

Shannon

TheNavigator
February 12th, 2010, 04:36 AM
OOPS...the above post was me...LOL...if you have not figured that out already...:).

Shannon

Rana
February 12th, 2010, 09:04 AM
..little ripples will make big waves xx

BlueStar
February 12th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Absolutely they do Rana. Butterfly effect ! :)

And thanks Shannon, I do believe that so much change has been made in so many social/environmental issues. Compared to a generation ago we have so much more awareness, whereas in the past things weren't questioned. Changes are being made, as we are changing as a species, but it is often a case of two steps forward two steps back, but that's just life. Cruelty and deliberate brutality just get to me...its bad enough when its inflicted by unconsciousness and not-thinking and somehow even worse when its motivated by money. But we do what we can do. It does make a difference.

I changed the title of the thread to something less reactive. Like Krash pointed out, it was my mistake to make it sound that all Canadians were seal killers. Sadly that is what happens often, the actions of the few reflect upon the whole. I guess that's sometimes when the whole get motivated to take action however.

Lion Spirit Walker
February 13th, 2010, 02:01 AM
Rest assured my dear friend, the 'how' was etched into my mind years ago. And I completely agree that no life should ever be treated in such a manner.

BlueStar
February 13th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Rest assured my dear friend, the 'how' was etched into my mind years ago. And I completely agree that no life should ever be treated in such a manner.

Absolutely not. If only people knew the truth of it...the truth being, as you know, they are US.

Thank you everyone for caring. :)

BlueStar
April 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
A PETA update, which makes my heart soar with joy. This has weighed heavily on my mind the past weeks as I knew this horrific and shameful slaughter was happening, and this comes as a wonderful ray of hope. Please take action to add further weight to the campaign. We have all helped make this possible.

---

All your hard work for seals is finally paying off. Just weeks after Canadian Fisheries Minister Gail Shea gave the green light for sealers to kill an additional 50,000 seals, officials have announced that they will likely have to call off this year's massacre early because of a lack of buyers for seal fur! As someone who has taken action against this barbaric slaughter, you of all people can understand what a colossal step this could be for the hundreds of thousands of seals who were slated for slaughter in Canada this year.

PETA U.K. worked to push the European Union to ban products made from seals, and that ban, combined with the ever-increasing number of people who refuse to buy real fur, has dealt a crushing blow to the seal-fur industry. According to one sealer, "[T]here's no market for seal pelts this year." And according to one estimate, fewer than 15 percent of the seals who were projected to be slaughtered will be bludgeoned to death this year! This couldn't have happened without the tireless effort and compassion of pro-seal activists like you.

It all comes down to one exciting question: Will Canadian officials stop the cruel and senseless seal slaughter forever? Let's keep the pressure on by demanding that Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper put an end to this dying event once and for all. Please forward our online action alert to all your e-mail contacts, (https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?page=OnScreenThanks&id=2929&JServSessionIdr004=j2eo5orn44.app333a) and be sure to express a sense of urgency. This is a life or death matter. We're on the verge of making history together.

To stay up to date on our campaign against the seal slaughter, visit CanadasShame.com. A kinder world for animals starts with you.

=====================

Stand Up, Join us, Modern Crusaders Alive! We have the Power to Change the Future, cos We are the Fighters just Fighting for Their Rights!

BlueStar
April 16th, 2010, 09:00 PM
A PETA update, which makes my heart soar with joy. This has weighed heavily on my mind the past weeks as I knew this horrific and shameful slaughter was happening, and this comes as a wonderful ray of hope. Please take action to add further weight to the campaign. We have all helped make this possible.

---

All your hard work for seals is finally paying off. Just weeks after Canadian Fisheries Minister Gail Shea gave the green light for sealers to kill an additional 50,000 seals, officials have announced that they will likely have to call off this year's massacre early because of a lack of buyers for seal fur! As someone who has taken action against this barbaric slaughter, you of all people can understand what a colossal step this could be for the hundreds of thousands of seals who were slated for slaughter in Canada this year.

PETA U.K. worked to push the European Union to ban products made from seals, and that ban, combined with the ever-increasing number of people who refuse to buy real fur, has dealt a crushing blow to the seal-fur industry. According to one sealer, "[T]here's no market for seal pelts this year." And according to one estimate, fewer than 15 percent of the seals who were projected to be slaughtered will be bludgeoned to death this year! This couldn't have happened without the tireless effort and compassion of pro-seal activists like you.

It all comes down to one exciting question: Will Canadian officials stop the cruel and senseless seal slaughter forever? Let's keep the pressure on by demanding that Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper put an end to this dying event once and for all. Please forward our online action alert to all your e-mail contacts, (https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?page=OnScreenThanks&id=2929&JServSessionIdr004=j2eo5orn44.app333a) and be sure to express a sense of urgency. This is a life or death matter. We're on the verge of making history together.

To stay up to date on our campaign against the seal slaughter, visit CanadasShame.com. A kinder world for animals starts with you.

=====================

Stand Up, Join us, Modern Crusaders Alive! We have the Power to Change the Future, cos We are the Fighters just Fighting for Their Rights!

BlueStar
April 8th, 2011, 07:20 PM
UGH. This time of year, this always comes around and breaks my heart. Please take a moment to sign the following to help take a stand against this barbarism

https://secure.peta.org/site/Advocacy?cmd=display&page=UserAction&id=2929

http://www.ifaw.org/ifaw_canada_english/join_campaigns/seals/index.php

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/818/254/058/

Thank you

http://www.treehugger.com/Baby%20Harp%20Seal%20photo.JPG

Anjou
April 9th, 2011, 03:58 PM
UGH. This time of year, this always comes around and breaks my heart. Please take a moment to sign the following to help take a stand against this barbarism
Thank you

Done, Rory. Thank you. :no.1: