PDA

View Full Version : Get LOST

BlueStar
January 31st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Wondering if there are any fellow Lost junkies here? Although I've pretty much given up on TV lately, about the only show I'm genuinely excited about is the final season of LOST!

It is definitely my favourite TV series of the past decade. It is truly one of the most original, inventive, unpredictable, complex, mind-bending and exciting TV shows of all time. Since the end-date was announced midway through the third season it has been consistently brilliant, and I love trying to get my head around the plot and work out the mysteries.

Next week the final season begins and I am certainly hoping it will have a suitably satisfying (and comprehensible!) finale. The end of the last season had one of the best cliffhangers I've ever seen. A nuclear bomb over a specific area of the island detonates in 1977 presumably altering the entire timeline and preventing the events at the start of the series from ever taking place. No one has the remotest clue how the next series will begin.

If anyone hasn't seen Lost, then I highly recommend starting from the beginning - rent or buy the DVD boxsets and work your way through. It's hugely addictive.

I found this video, a kind of recap prior to the new season, really well made. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRsGu40SFcY

Genesis
February 3rd, 2010, 05:05 AM
Just got done watching the first Episode of the last season ... like lost.. there was some amazing moments. The one with Jack and Locke talking the airport and Jack offers him his card.. I about teared up.. Terry and Matthew should win awards just for that scene.... and I am so glad Sayid came back.. was getting pissed off they took so long to get to the godforsaken temple.... but looking foward to seeing how this all ties in and interested to know why Smokey wants to go home.. the ash was explained.. er.. as much as lost explains anything and omg... Im so babbling.. okay... I'm done :D

VIVA LA LOST!!!!!

:)

BlueStar
February 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
eeek, had to stop reading your post! i wont see the ep til saturday :) i'm being very disciplined and trying to avoid spoilers! (and its killing me haha).

Glad to know I'm not the only lost fan here Gen! i truly think its the only tv show i've ever been obsessive about, except perhaps father ted! :D Cant wait for saturday, will share my thoughts when i see it. so excited!

Genesis
February 3rd, 2010, 04:18 PM
LOL... sorry..that was definately an incoherent spoiler.. :D When you see the episode, we should discuss together. :) I say we should keep this thread open for our own theories! John Locke has got to be one of the most dynamic characters on a Television series I've seen which pulls him as my favourite right behind Sayid. How about you?

BlueStar
February 3rd, 2010, 07:29 PM
There are so many things you can discuss about Lost, you could go round and round in circles forever! Locke is really awesome, I'm still in shock after the fifth season finale when we found out that, well 'dead is dead' and that is ISNT him that was resurrected. Never saw that coming. Sayid is pretty cool too. Not sure who my favourites are actually...I like them, although Jack and Kate can be a bit dull. I'll miss Juliet, and still don't think they should have killed Rousseau, always thought she had a lot of potential.

BlueStar
February 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Looks like its just you and me Gen. We'll send the smoke monster after the others hehe!

Just saw episode 3 and the final season is off to a fantastic start. It has such a way of reeling you and and making you so desperate for answers. Totally intrigued by these other Others (at the temple). I already suspected that after Sayid was resurrected that it wasn't going to be him as such. The island has a way of "claiming" corpses and reanimating them for its own purposes (locke, jack's dad). And now Claire? Been wondering what had happened with her for aaaages.

I also love the new narrative format. We've gone from flashbacks to flashforwards to flashsideways? Is this a simultaneous reality? It was really well done, and I really liked the way they handled the kate/claire scenes.

Only a dozen or so episodes left. In a way I can't wait to find out how it ends, but I don't want it to be over. Frankly TV rarely interests me, but I love Lost so much.

Genesis
February 13th, 2010, 03:48 PM
Wondering if Jacob has taken form into Sayid... I mean if Smokie can do it.. why not Jacob? But Seriously.. the minute he arose; the look in his eye - I knew it wasnt really him.
But what do you think about Ethan being at the hospital when Claire when into false Labour?! That man has always creeped me out but seriously.. what was he doing off the island?
Regarding the return of Claire.. was it me or did she have a real setting traps-wielding shotgun - paranoid Rousseu thing going? I saw too many connections.
As to the new Temple dwellers, the head Asian man and his lackie translator - they annoy me to ends. I dont like their characters so far but we will see. I mean, I didnt like Juliet at first either but that dramatically changed...
So much to see so much to observe.... yup, Lost is off to a great start.

BlueStar
February 13th, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm kind of expecting a Jacob/smokie showdown; maybe they will each assume a body to battle each other? Maybe Smokie can assume multiple forms? The temple folk were devastated to learn that jacob was dead, so I don't think they'd want to kill Sayid if he was in some way hosting Jacob. They seem to know a lot of what's going on, which is probably why they are so darn cryptic.

Ethan does have a creepy look about him. If he was my doctor i'd be scared! He maybe never went to the island, because in that timeline the bomb went off in 1977, so he was maybe never brought to the island? I can't remember his history actually...might have to check the lostpedia. Heck, this is about the only tv show you need to consult an encyclopedia to understand, but i guess that's why I love it, its a big puzzle!

And yeah, Claire definitely had a Rousseau thing going there...! I liked Rousseau, its such a shame she died so suddenly and off-screen (think it was the actresses choice never to come back). Her storu seems unfinished somehow. Maybe we'll see more of her.

So much to discuss!! :D

Mr. Brightside
April 9th, 2010, 08:42 PM
I am completeley addicted to Lost, I have watched it from the begining and have rewatched all again leading up to this season, It is one of the most addictive mysterious and fantastic TV shows I have seen..

This season has been awesome, I thought the questions would stop and we would only get answers but there is only 5 shows left till the grand finale and it still blows my mind trying to work it out. I only hope the finale lives up to what people are expecting.

There have been some amazing OMG moments this season, The end of "Sundown" when they are all walking through the temple and "catch a falling star" is playing in the background, Crazy Claire , Bens speech to Illana in the jungle. (he deserves an emmy or whatever they give them for that) Who/What the smoke monster is

I love the spiritual mysterious aspect of Lost, Jacob and the MIB are intriguing characters... but who are they really?

Were it is going I hazard guessess and theories like the millions of lost fans online, My theories have been hit and miss "Ab Aeterno" was an amazing episode confirmed what I always suspected about Richard. and how he got to the island, One of the few things I have got right :) I never guessed about Locke last season.

As for Sayid with his thousand yard stare, lack of emotions and willing to sacrifice anybody to see Nadia again make him a brutal enemy but will he be on the side of good or evil in the end...I wonder

I doubt we have seen the last of Waaaaaaalt or Aaron, they must have some part to play in all this surely

You have got to hand it to the writers, the have created an amazing show that has kept people guessing since 1994.. Although I cant wait till the finale to see just how it all plays out it will be a bitter sweet moment when it ends...

Maybe claire's squirrel baby is the key to it all lol

BlueStar
April 10th, 2010, 07:55 PM
I'd forgotten you were a fellow Lost fan Sean! :) I would have thought there would be more of us on here, somehow would have thought the mythology and themes would appeal to MWers!

Just watched this week's episode total and it was brilliant - but then Desmond episodes usually are. Seems a real game-changer as well; now the two timelines are linked (by Desmond, the constant!) and interestingly Eloise Hawking seems to know what's going on. I once read that the producers had described her as a 'temporal policeman' or woman. Was so great to see Charlie back, and also Daniel and Penny. The Desmond/Penny relationship is one of the most genuine I've ever seen on TV and their scenes together almost make me want to cry - and sometimes even do. I'm greatly relieved that the alternate timeline seems to have a purpose at least, like many I found it a bit frustrating at times and was worried it was just padding. Will be very interesting to see how it transpires.

But yeah, there have been some masterstrokes this season! Terry O'Quinn is genuinely terrifying as fake-Locke, just one look on his face can send shivers down my spine. Crazy Clare is brilliant (and how do they get her hair so matted! It could break a titanium comb surely!) and emotionless Sayid very unnerving (the bit where he watches impassively as Clare tried to kill Kate was chilling, all the more so the way they underplayed it).

Can't wait to see how it all transpires. Hoping it will have a satisfying, understandable conclusion! It's been an incredible feat of storytelling, the most complex and well-crafted I think I've ever seen on TV, so I hope the conclusion is suitably brilliant :)

Oh and welcome back again Sean we've all really missed you!

Mr. Brightside
April 11th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Thanks Rory :) missed you to my friend :)

Great episode this week as Desmond episodes usually are, A bit confusing though, is Desmond the key because he is the only one who has seen the flash sideways so knows the alternative lives the losties could lead and thats why he wants to contact them, he is everybodys "Contstant"? , I suspect its also something to do with the fact beacuse Desmond found his beloved Penny and knows that no matter what the island, Jacob, Eloise or Widmore can throw at him destiny will happen and he will end up with Penny..

Certainly seems like they are all likely to meet each other in the Alt. timeline.

Some questions for you fellow Losties

Do you think widmore knew what Ben would do to Jacob and thats why he sent his rambo guys to get him in season 3/4?

If the flashsideways are the result of the Losties not being touched by Jacob and how there lives would have been (not because of the incident), Do you think the MIB went back in time and somehow stopped Jacob from contacting them on the mainland.

If the lighthouse is Jacobs list and the Cave is MIBs why is Kate only crossed of the MIBs list? I noticed Flocke seemed very suprised when Kate walked out of the temple, For some reason do you think he thought she was dead or never came back to the island on the Ajira flight..

This is a wild theory that has been floating around in my head for a while, In the Pilot episode both Locke and Jack dissapear for a short while whilst the smoke monster is chasing them, imagine if they had both been possessed all this time.... Remember Lockes conversation with Walt on the beach.

"2 sides One Dark, One Light, Do you want to know a secret"

What was that secret he tells Walt?

Far fetched I know but thats what Lost does to my brain.....

Narnia
April 11th, 2010, 01:53 PM
I would have thought there would be more of us on here, somehow would have thought the mythology and themes would appeal to MWers!

Since I enjoy both the show 'Survivor' and the book/1963 film 'Lord of the Flies' ... 'Lost' just may tickle my fancy. :) *Hm?* .... I just may skip on over to www.netflix.com and put the first season in our queue.

Also, Survivor, Lord of the Flies along with Cast Away and Gilligan's Island .... all had their part in the concept/creation of 'Lost'

So, I off I go to Netflix to check it out .... thanks guys!! :D

BlueStar
April 12th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Since I enjoy both the show 'Survivor' and the book/1963 film 'Lord of the Flies' ... 'Lost' just may tickle my fancy. :) *Hm?* .... I just may skip on over to www.netflix.com and put the first season in our queue.

Also, Survivor, Lord of the Flies along with Cast Away and Gilligan's Island .... all had their part in the concept/creation of 'Lost'

Oooh cool, I think you will enjoy!! It starts with a real bang. The storylines take a while to gradually evolve, patience is needed with lost. But it really, truly rewards that patience :) I can't wait to watch the whole series from the start!

BlueStar
April 12th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Some questions for you fellow Losties

Do you think widmore knew what Ben would do to Jacob and thats why he sent his rambo guys to get him in season 3/4?

You never know, although don't know if we've seen that Widmore (who, sorry, will ALWAYS just be Jim Robinson from Neighbours to me, haha, it doesn't matter how many roles Alan Dale has!) has the ability to see into the future...but then again, he was involved with Eloise Hawking, who certainly does. But no, I think the rivalry between them started before that, possibly when they were both Others and before Widmore was exiled (can't remember at what point that happened and whether Ben would have been with the Others that long at that point).

If the flashsideways are the result of the Losties not being touched by Jacob and how there lives would have been (not because of the incident), Do you think the MIB went back in time and somehow stopped Jacob from contacting them on the mainland.

No...I could be wrong, but I don't see the writers bringing in the time travel element again. I'm pretty sure the alternate reality was the result of the Incident, which would have pretty much destroyed the island and killed Jacob and everyone else on the island.

If the lighthouse is Jacobs list and the Cave is MIBs why is Kate only crossed of the MIBs list? I noticed Flocke seemed very suprised when Kate walked out of the temple, For some reason do you think he thought she was dead or never came back to the island on the Ajira flight..

Good observation! No idea!

This is a wild theory that has been floating around in my head for a while, In the Pilot episode both Locke and Jack dissapear for a short while whilst the smoke monster is chasing them, imagine if they had both been possessed all this time.... Remember Lockes conversation with Walt on the beach.

"2 sides One Dark, One Light, Do you want to know a secret"

What was that secret he tells Walt?

Far fetched I know but thats what Lost does to my brain.....

I saw a clip of that exchange...totally prophetic! I don't imagine they'd have been possessed all this time...but then again, who knows? The more you think about it, the more the mind gets fevered with all kinds of theories. To be honest, I've never really speculated all that much as it makes my brain hurt. Plus, none of the theories I've come up with have ever been even remotely close to the mark!

Here's a review I found of the last episode and it's filled with fascinating comments and insights and theories...thought you might find it interesting:

In the review for "LA X", it was theorized that "the Incident" was associated with a quantum mechanical event, such that two realities were born out of a single timeline: the familiar "Lost Prime" and the flash-sideways "Lost X". While many possible explanations for the purpose of "Lost X" have been offered since that point, based on new information, one constant has been the theory that Desmond would be directly connected to it.

While many of the characters have experienced time travel and exposure to the unusual electromagnetic properties of the island, Desmond is the one that was at the heart of the Swan Station implosion in "Live Together, Die Alone". And as seen in "Flashes Before Your Eyes" and "The Constant", this led to Desmond's consciousness being uniquely "unstuck". Desmond could see the future for a time, and stood outside of the rule that "whatever happened, happened".

This episode confirms the assumption that "the Incident" was the cause of the split in the timeline. If there are details in terms of events before 1977 that seem to diverge and can't be explained by the lack of time traveling by the survivors, that's likely just side effects of the temporal connection to the electromagnetic anomaly. (OK, in reality, it's a bit of sloppiness from the writers, but that's not as much fun as coming up with a work-around!)

And that seems to solidify the theory that "the Incident" had differing effects in each timeline. In "Lost Prime", the island remained intact, but those displaced in time were taken back to the moment of their departure (2007). In "Lost X", the island sank (at an undetermined rate, but slow enough to let most if not all of the Dharma Initiative members to leave), and Jacob never intervened in the lives of the characters.

It was inevitable, just based on the information in "LA X", that the two timelines would ultimately connect. As stated in the review for "The Package", the progression of the "Lost X" timeline towards a reunion of the familiar characters who were on that timeline's Oceanic 815 flight has to have a purpose within the larger context of the story. This episode only drives home this notion.

This episode provided an interesting perspective on the relationship between "Lost Prime" and "Lost X". Characters in "Lost X" are becoming more and more aware of the existence of "Lost Prime", during moments of transcendent personal revelation. In this episode, it's tied to two life-altering events: love and death. The emphasis is on love, but both Charlie and Desmond had their epiphanies during near-death experiences.

The two are also not directly linked. Daniel recognized that he loved Charlotte, but there was no associated near-death experience. (And while one might theorize that Daniel's own unique mental state in "Lost Prime" could account for his insight, that's an exception that seems a bit too subtle, especially given how Desmond is in focus.) On the other side of the coin, Jack was the one person in "LA X" who seemed to have flashes of recollection of "Lost Prime", without the trigger of love. Yet, it's clear that the death of his father had affected him deeply.

Yet it is interesting to note that the characters in "Lost Prime" don't have the same insights into the existence of "Lost X". The only character that seems to allude to it is Jacob's rival. But that is only in the form of temptation, so it's not necessarily a reference to "Lost X". A solid rationale would have to be provided to make that link.

Desmond's unique state of existence may be that link. By the end of this episode, there is every reason to believe that he is aware of the "Lost X" timeline, just as Desmond X is aware of "Lost Prime". He now has a holistic perspective that the rest of the characters simply do not have. And that ties back into the speculation from the review for "LA X": if someone has to make a decision as to which reality will prevail, Desmond is the only one with the necessary perspective on both states of existence. Desmond may not be the one called to make a decision, but he may be able to trump it.

It's fairly clear that the final battle is swiftly approaching. Possession of the Ajira plane (or, perhaps, the Widmore submarine) is the final goal. Jacob's rival put together a long-term plan to achieve the right set of circumstances to leave the island. Jacob constructed his own plan in counterpoint. This all involves the Candidates, and a few possible scenarios have been mentioned, particularly in the review for "The Package".

Yet Widmore's gambit seemed apart from that. Now it's revealed that it has something to do with Desmond, the electromagnetic properties of the main island, and perhaps even a nuclear bomb. Because it seems rather likely that Widmore knows about the splintered timeline.

In "Flashes Before Your Eyes", Eloise Hawking made it very clear that Desmond had to resist the urge to alter the timeline, because if he did, "every single one of us is dead". This has been echoed by Jacob and Widmore this season more than once. But what does that mean? From a literal perspective, it could mean that Jacob's rival would utterly destroy all life on the planet. But it could also mean that Jacob's rival could wipe out the "Lost Prime" timeline in favor of one of his own preference. In essence, everyone in the "Lost Prime" timeline would cease to exist.

Right now, Jacob's rival is telling the Candidates that he can give them what they want: the restoration of loved ones and a better life, a world where Jacob never brought them to the island. It's the exact opposite of redemption. But to the Candidates, that might actually sound like a good thing. "Lost Prime" has been harsh. The thought of a new world, where things turned out the way they "should have been", would have to be tempting, especially sight unseen.

But Desmond is now aware of that other existence. On some level, he may still be connected to it. He knows, from direct experience, that the other universe is not perfect. If anything, he realizes (thanks to Charlie and Daniel) that as real as it may seem and even be, it's not where the "Lost Prime" survivors are meant to be. More than that, he knows that the two are intrinsically connected. In other words, it may be that wiping out "Lost Prime" in favor of "Lost X" would, in essence, destroy both timelines.

Then again, it's a well-established fact that the producers and writers had no intention of exploring the "Lost X" timeline before they settled on the finalized plan for the sixth season. It was a late addition to the series, developed as a means of adjusting format to give the season a unique flavor. So while this approach gives the audience a perspective into this alternative reality, it's likely that the original treatment was more conceptual.

It all comes down, as Jacob said in "Ab Aeterno", to finding someone willing to let go of the past, accept a clean slate, and take his place as caretaker of the island. It makes perfect sense that Jacob's rival would offer them a temptation of this magnitude. Widmore is in direct opposition to Jacob's rival, so it appears as though this is all part of Jacob's counter-ploy.

After all, if Jacob contrived to have Oceanic 815 crash on the island, then he is the likely manipulator behind Desmond's lapse in the Swan Station (going back to the long-standing theory that the crash was not at all accidental). And who was directly involved in getting Desmond to the island? Charles Widmore. It all adds up. (That also serves to explain Libby's importance to the story. She facilitated Desmond's arrival on the island as part of Team Jacob. There's really nothing else pertinent to know about her.)

So how might it all come together? Desmond knows about the other timeline. He knows that "Lost Prime" is the way things were supposed to play out; this is in direct line with Eloise Hawking's warnings in "Flashes Before Your Eyes". He can survive intense electromagnetic fields, such as exist on the island and are tied to the containment of Jacob's rival. And he knows that a nuclear bomb, in conjunction with such a field, can change the flow of time. And Eloise Hawking, someone intimately connected to Charles Widmore, knew all about the implications based on her possession of Daniel Faraday's journal.

What if Charles Widmore, as part of Jacob's plan, is trying to stage a second, much bigger Incident? The producers have said that Zoe is key to the final resolution; as a geophysicist, she would be able to advise on where the second Incident would need to take place. If "whatever happened, happened", and "course correction" is intrinsic to the stability of the timeline, then it may all come down to mending the damage done by the first Incident. And it makes sense that it would take an event of similar magnitude to make that happen.

The trick could be that this requires setting off the burst in the most potent electromagnetic location on the island, and it may be too strong for a normal human being to withstand. That's where Desmond comes into the picture. Eliminate the "Lost X" timeline, and Jacob's rival no longer has an alternative to offer to the Candidates. (In fact, it may be that Jacob's rival needs the "Lost X" timeline to exist for his escape to be fully realized. Eliminate "Lost X", select the Candidate, and the game is over for this cycle.)

So a relatively logical scenario is now forming for the final resolution to the story. But there is one unusual aspect still to take into account. Desmond seemed altogether too happy to do what Widmore was asking him to do, which seems to be sacrificing himself (and therefore his life with Penny and little Charlie) to eliminate the "Lost X" timeline in which he was still destined to be with his true love. But he was also willing to go with Sayid, no questions asked. So what is Desmond's current motivation?

Desmond has never been particularly secretive on the matter: his sole desire was always to be with Penny. As far back as "Live Together, Die Alone", the producers have been clear on the point that the Desmond/Penny relationship was one of the most important aspects of the story. So the audience can count on Desmond making whatever choice he feels is right with respect to Penny. It's not entirely clear what he took away from his experience in "Lost X", but it's certainly going to factor into the endgame.

Overall, this was another solid and satisfying episode, confirming some of the speculation regarding the direction and nature of the story while promising that some of the more pressing plot threads will be resolved. This is effectively the end of the complication phase of the final arc; it's now a headlong rush to ultimate resolution.

Mr. Brightside
April 12th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Fantastic review, makes a lot of sense and made my brain explode lol, I know what he is saying about Desmond being the only one who has seen both timelines and now is on some kind of mission to do something about it..

Did we ever see how and why Eloise left the island, I dont ever recall it happening in the series... and whatever happened to poor old Rose and Bernard..

One of my favorite moments from the show was in the last season when the Saywer, Juliet and Kate were going to stop Jack and his nuke and they meet Rose and Bernard in the Jungle. They did not care about the island moving, jack and nuke, smokie, the incident, the dharma or anything, they just wated to live in peace by the sea and be left alone...that was a really sweet moment.

Watching the full series again understanding what is going on (Instead of wondering what the hell is going on) will be quite enjoyable. :)

Mr. Brightside
April 12th, 2010, 08:44 PM

Go for it Polly, I am sure if you stick with it you will love it and become addicted as I am lol

I dont ever remember any show having so many people theorising and speculating over what the next episode/season will bring, some theories are way out there in the realms of fantasy and science fiction (like mine ;)) but there must be millions of words written each day on web sites and message boards about Lost. I think It will go down as one of the best TV shows ever made.

Narnia
April 14th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Okay - just finished watching the very first episode of 'Lost' .............. the dog obviously has some significance .... ?

I think it's an invisible T-Rex rooming the island!! [Later Edit] A Polar Bear!? :blink:

Wild and Creepy!!

BlueStar
April 15th, 2010, 12:32 PM
Okay - just finished watching the very first episode of 'Lost' .............. the dog obviously has some significance .... ?

I think it's an invisible T-Rex rooming the island!! [Later Edit] A Polar Bear!? :blink:

Wild and Creepy!!

Hehe just the first of the many mysteries...answers will be forthcoming, but you gotta keep watching!

BlueStar
April 15th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Fantastic review, makes a lot of sense and made my brain explode lol, I know what he is saying about Desmond being the only one who has seen both timelines and now is on some kind of mission to do something about it..

Did we ever see how and why Eloise left the island, I dont ever recall it happening in the series... and whatever happened to poor old Rose and Bernard..

One of my favorite moments from the show was in the last season when the Saywer, Juliet and Kate were going to stop Jack and his nuke and they meet Rose and Bernard in the Jungle. They did not care about the island moving, jack and nuke, smokie, the incident, the dharma or anything, they just wated to live in peace by the sea and be left alone...that was a really sweet moment.

Watching the full series again understanding what is going on (Instead of wondering what the hell is going on) will be quite enjoyable. :)

I love Rose and Bernard, as far as I know they're still living like hermits with Vincent.

I don't think we found out how Eloise Hawking left the island. Just checked on Lostpedia: http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Eloise_Hawking (Gotta love a show where you need to refer to an encylopedia every so often!). She is a fascinating character.

I believe Desmond is key as he seems to have awareness of both realities. Someone who has been conspicuous from the absence in the alternate timeline (and I'm assuming this isn't just because the actress is filming another series) is Juliet. She also knows of the other reality (I think), judging by her final words to Sawyer after detonating the bomb: 'it worked'. According to the producers, Juliet is key to the resolution of the story...and so apparently is Zoe, the geologist helping Widmore. Hmmmmm......

Mr. Brightside
April 19th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Wild and Creepy!!

Im sure the dog (vincent) has some part to play in the grand plan, he pops up every now and again in the story..

The polar bear is just the start of it lol. when it appeared I think thats when I realised this is not going to be an ordinary TV show :)

BlueStar
April 19th, 2010, 07:22 PM
Im sure the dog (vincent) has some part to play in the grand plan, he pops up every now and again in the story..

The polar bear is just the start of it lol. when it appeared I think thats when I realised this is not going to be an ordinary TV show :)

Haha Vincent is maybe the key to it all! :)

Yup, I remember when the polar bear and monster appeared that was when I realised there was a strong fantasy element to the series, because I originally thought it was a simple survival drama.

I do believe the mystery of the polar bears has now been explained, and as for the rest...you have to be verrry patient with Lost! There will be a lot more questions before any answers arrive.

I love the way we're finally being given answers to lots of the little mysteries, like the mysterious whispers being explained in the last episode. I will be careful not to give away any spoilers for Polly's sake. I don't think much of the above discussion would make any sense whatsoever to anyone unless they're up to date with the latest episodes. And to anyone who doesn't watch Lost it will just be random jibberish lol.

Mr. Brightside
April 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I think the Smoke monster has already escaped :blink:, he is floating over european airspace grounding all aircraft and wreaking havock ;) (http://inventorspot.com/articles/losts_smoke_monster_volcanic_ash_plume_one_same_40302)

yep the answers are coiming thick and fast (but the questions still arise) I have theories every week about what is happening but then something will happen in the next show and totally confuse me again lol

Another great episode last week, Do you think desmond knew what was going to happen, he seemed very calm, nice seeing Libby again .....and Jacks face when he met with Locke was a picture :D

Line of the week: How do you break the ice with a smoke monster? :biglaugh.2:classic Hurley

Narnia
April 19th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I will be careful not to give away any spoilers for Polly's sake. I don't think much of the above discussion would make any sense whatsoever to anyone unless they're up to date with the latest episodes. And to anyone who doesn't watch Lost it will just be random jibberish lol.

Don't worry sweets ... haven't read any of what you guys have discussed about Lost ... I am good that way! Oh and by the by, I'm about half way through the 3rd Season! :)

Yep - I've been wasting time here and there watching it! :)

Mr. Brightside
April 19th, 2010, 08:01 PM
lol you became a Lost addict in a week :), You must be enjoying it Polly :) It really gets going from the end of season 3, the best is yet to come ;)

Narnia
April 19th, 2010, 08:19 PM
It really gets going from the end of season 3, the best is yet to come ;)

Oh I can only imagine especially after watching the first night they arrived on the Island ........ trees thrashing about coupled by T-Rex like noises ... oh and the Polar Bears, the Black Horse, the Hatch imploding, the electro-magnet, people tripping out and visiting with the dead and gaining closure, weird underground facilities scattered all over the Island, wrecked air ballons, ships, planes, the 'Others' and their wierd fixation on kids ..... oh yeah and that strange black cloud filled with spirits ... oh this Island is full of surprises!!

Oh and the numbers 4 8 15 16 23 42 .... which as you know adds up to 108 ... the number of passengers on the plane, the number minutes on the clock in the hatch .... etc, etc ...

BlueStar
April 20th, 2010, 03:45 PM
Oh WOW - halfway through the third season?! :D You really have become an addict hehe

I agree with Sean, for me where it really started to get consistently brilliant from the last third of season three onwards. At that point the writers decided they needed an end-date so instead of stretching out the story indefinitely, they could map out the rest of the series. It seemed to get a lot tighter from then on with less padding. Flashbacks only tended to be used if they were necessary to the ongoing storyline. The end of the third season is incredible. Still remember the chills I got from watching it :D

Wow - congrats on your insights into the numbers...I didn't realise that adding them up gave us the number of people on the plane and the numbers on the hatch clock! I think the start of season six gave us the final explanation (or suggestion) as to why the numbers were important and where they came from. But I won't give any of it away :)

Happy watching!

PS - loved that article about the smoke monster escaping the island Sean, haha

Narnia
April 23rd, 2010, 02:05 PM
I didn't realise that adding them up gave us the number of people on the plane

My mistake on that one - I stand corrected!! Just learned there were 324 passengers!! oops! Sorry!

Narnia
April 30th, 2010, 12:48 PM
Well ... believe it or not, but I am more-or-less caught up on the entire show of 'Lost' ..... everything about it reminds me of a Michael Crichton's writing style ... seeing I have practically read every book of his) ... so it is a no wonder why I really enjoyed the Ironman Marathon of watching 'Lost' ....

Anyhoo ... I found some of the episode titles to be interesting as well and speaking of which .... do you guys think the last episode title will be 'Found'?

Get it ... Lost and Found. :)

BlueStar
April 30th, 2010, 02:35 PM
Oh WOW - congrats on your mega Lost marathon. You know I'd give anything to be able to watch the whole series again for the first time.

Have you seen to the end of season five? That flash to white has got to be one of the biggest cliffhangers of anything, ever. And I'll never forget my reaction when it was revealing what (or who) was in the box! Wow.

I think there's actually been an episode called "...and Found" (ie Lost and Found!). The last ever episode is called "The End", which doesn't give much away but does promise a conclusive ending. I'm more concerned about the penultimate episode, which is called "Why they Died". Eeek.

No Lost this week. Have a whole week to wait until the final four episodes.

Mr. Brightside
April 30th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Well ... believe it or not, but I am more-or-less caught up on the entire show of 'Lost' ..... everything about it reminds me of a Michael Crichton's writing style ... seeing I have practically read every book of his) ... so it is a no wonder why I really enjoyed the Ironman Marathon of watching 'Lost' ....

Anyhoo ... I found some of the episode titles to be interesting as well and speaking of which .... do you guys think the last episode title will be 'Found'?

Get it ... Lost and Found. :)

wow Im impressed that is some feat, glad you are enjoying it. I know what you mean about Michael Crichtons style, I have read a few of his books, mainly the ones that have made it into films, the Jurassic Park series, Congo (I quite fancy the pirate one he wrote before he died, I will get around to it one day) Speaking of Jurassic park wasnt it shot on the same island as Lost....

When Lost ends I think we will see how many titles of episodes and events in the show meant more than we thought the did at the time... (Through the looking glass, There's No Place Like Home, A Tale of Two Cities) One title that seems to spring out at the moment is 23rd Psalm,

The 23rd Psalm is like it was written for Jack at the the moment.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

Mr. Brightside
April 30th, 2010, 11:28 PM
Have you seen to the end of season five? That flash to white has got to be one of the biggest cliffhangers of anything, ever. And I'll never forget my reaction when it was revealing what (or who) was in the box! Wow.

I think there's actually been an episode called "...and Found" (ie Lost and Found!). The last ever episode is called "The End", which doesn't give much away but does promise a conclusive ending. I'm more concerned about the penultimate episode, which is called "Why they Died". Eeek.

No Lost this week. Have a whole week to wait until the final four episodes.

That was some ending, I do miss Juliet, We have seen most people make an appearence this season, wonder if she turns up at some point (Although she does plays an excellent part in "V"

This season has been pretty cool with some excellent episodes and superb acting. This time next month it wil be over :blink: I am looking forward to seeing what happens but it will be bitter sweet when it does end. Maybe i should do what somebody else mentioned on another board. watch it all over again a few times over the years but never watch the finale, Like Desmond does with his Charles Dickens book - Our Mutual Friend ;)

Loved this trippy trailer for "the Last recruit"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKCc4NlrjY&feature=related

Narnia
May 1st, 2010, 01:19 AM
wow Im impressed that is some feat, glad you are enjoying it. I know what you mean about Michael Crichtons style, I have read a few of his books, mainly the ones that have made it into films, the Jurassic Park series, Congo (I quite fancy the pirate one he wrote before he died, I will get around to it one day) Speaking of Jurassic park wasnt it shot on the same island as Lost....

Yep - it sure was!! :)

Lost has a lot of Timeline like issues as well!

When Lost ends I think we will see how many titles of episodes and events in the show meant more than we thought the did at the time... (Through the looking glass, There's No Place Like Home, A Tale of Two Cities) One title that seems to spring out at the moment is 23rd Psalm,

And ... The Shape of Things to Come. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Shape_of_Things_to_Come)

The 23rd Psalm is like it was written for Jack at the the moment.

The Lord is my Shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures:
He leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for His name' sake.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;
Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;
Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the House of the Lord forever.

Cool! :)

BlueStar
May 1st, 2010, 10:27 AM
It's amazing how many different things you can relate to Lost. The entire canvas of the series is unbelievably massive, with about as dense and multi-layered a mythology I have ever seen anywhere.

The words of the Psalm are interesting. Could have related to Jack at a point earlier in the series, but I'm not so sure any longer. He's a bit of a mess these days and in the last ep seemed to make what looked like a very silly, inadvisable choice of allegiance. But we shall see :D

Narnia
May 1st, 2010, 01:47 PM
He's a bit of a mess these days and in the last ep seemed to make what looked like a very silly, inadvisable choice of allegiance. But we shall see :D

Yeah - that last episode had 'Survivor' strategy all over it!!

Mr. Brightside
May 1st, 2010, 02:18 PM
I personally dont think he intentionally went back to ally himself with the dark side and the MIB, I think he has gone back to stop him leaving the island somehow.

Heres a question for you why do you think The MIBs name has never been revealed? I can only think of 3 reasons

1. He IS Jacob......two sides of the same coin, black and white, Good and Evil, Ying Yang...... (A very popular theory online and one that has me wondering if its true)

2. He is someone we have already seen in the show such as Aaron - (Another popular theory)

3. He is a famous person outside the show such as an historical figure

Either way telling us his name must be big reveal and thats why we have not heard it yet.

BlueStar
May 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Interesting theories Sean. I very much doubt MIB will be revealed to be a famous person known outside the show, unless something archetypal such as Lucifer, but I'm not sure about that even. I remember the bit where he implies that he was a mortal person once and that he had a 'crazy mother'. That certainly raised a lot of questions. I'm not quite sure where they're going with this, or even if we'll get a full explanation as to who Jacob and MIB are. We shall see.

I heard on the grapevine that they will explain the importance of the Aron and Walt characters however. But it all remains to be seen. So excited about the final few episodes. I have faith that they'll give us something special.

Mr. Brightside
May 2nd, 2010, 02:02 PM
Interesting theories Sean. I very much doubt MIB will be revealed to be a famous person known outside the show, unless something archetypal such as Lucifer, but I'm not sure about that even.

I remember the bit where he implies that he was a mortal person once and that he had a 'crazy mother'. That certainly raised a lot of questions. I'm not quite sure where they're going with this, or even if we'll get a full explanation as to who Jacob and MIB are. We shall see.

I heard on the grapevine that they will explain the importance of the Aron and Walt characters however. But it all remains to be seen. So excited about the final few episodes. I have faith that they'll give us something special.

Yeah Im thinking more a figure from Biblical times, apart from the statue the thing that set me off on this train of thought was in "The Incident" Bens talking to Jacob about being ignored and he motions to Locke and says....

"And he marches right on up here, as if he was Moses himself"

"and then it shows a shot of Locke, who turns his head and looks as if it is ironic that he mentioned it.

and you mentioning MIBs crazy mother, Maybe it is Claire and he is Aaron

Maybe its all just part of the mythology of the show, But Locke/MIB marching all the people around the island, the title of some episodes - i.e. exodus. The staff he seems to be making .. All maybe clues to were its going.

Incidentaly in the Bible Jacob is a descendant of Aaron, elder brother of Moses :)

right or wrong you have to love the way Lost makes you think, I am so looking forward to the final few episodes, I doubt they will answer every question but I reckon it will be a satisfying ending, And I also think that once we know the answers watching it all over again from a new perspective will be quite interesting ;)

Narnia
May 2nd, 2010, 03:15 PM
Incidentaly in the Bible Jacob is a descendant of Aaron, elder brother of Moses :)

I recall Mr. Echo mentioning that .. a subtle *hint-hint* at the time me thinks. :)

It wouldn't be surprising if it was a religous figure with all the religous connotations implied throughout the series! The Virgin Mary statues, miracles, Priests, the Dharma Intiative headquaters in L.A. being in the basement of a church ... etc. :)

BlueStar
May 9th, 2010, 10:51 AM
I just wanna say I am STILL recovering from this week's ep!! Blubbering wreck I was. The producers called it 'brutal' and that's one word for it. Can't remember the last time I cried so much at a TV show. And I still get upset when I think about it.

(I don't think this is a 'spoiler' as such, but I thought I'd better warn you not to read on if you don't want any details about the theme of next episode) Next week, the third last episode, features none of the regular cast (but guest stars CJ from the West Wing!). It spans 2,000 years and will reveal the backstory between jacob and MIB. Should be interesting. Personally I hope it's not TOO biblical, although some references and parallels as seasoning might work well.

Narnia
May 9th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I know ... I watched that episode last night!! Some of my favourites characters of show got nixed ... which I was really hoping that wouldn't happen! Really sad.

BlueStar
May 9th, 2010, 06:10 PM
I know...

(spoilers if you haven't seen the latest episode)

The producers said they did it to graphically spell out that Flocke (my fave MIB/fake-Locke name) is very much the villain and that he must be stopped. Until now there have been doubts that maybe he's the good guy and Jacob the baddie.

I'm glad that Sayid got to redeem himself in a heroic death. It happened so quickly that it didn't hit home until Jack said 'There IS no Sayid', a real punch-in-the-gut of a line. It cut away quickly from Frank - we didn't see him die, so I'm wondering if he might somehow have survived. But Sun and Jin...so absolutely devastating. I get upset just thinking about it. I'd kind of composed myself during the final Jack/Locke alternate scene, only to lose it again during the beach scene. Very emotional. I really loved their relationship and how far they'd come (especially Jin) since the beginning, when their relationship was rather...difficult. Sun had always been one of my favourite characters even though she wasn't featured so much lately - a lovely, gentle soul.

I felt the alternative-timeline thread was treading water a bit this week. I'm still very curious as to what will happen with that. I love how Desmond seems to be a vigilante that's somehow trying to pull the characters together. I do believe Des will be key to the resolution...and surely Juliet. Where the heck has she been? Aside from that, a really visceral, kick in the stomach type episode.

Mr. Brightside
May 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Contains spoilers if you have not seen episode 14 - The Candidate

Last weeks epsiode (The Candidate) was amazing and very sad at the same time (the end scene with sun and Jin, how moving was that, (very Titanic-ish) I loved the fact that Jin would not leave Sun (although poor Jin Yeon) the moment the "Life and Death" music strikes up you know its not going to be good. :no1:

And what about Sayid, willing to sacrifice himself to save his fellow losties (I knew in the end he would show he was not pure evil like people have been telling him for years and would come good) Oh and poor chesty, (Frank) squashed by a door (I think - nobody cried for him, maybe he is not dead after all) The master of one liners right to the end :D All these actors have been amazing in the show, I cant belive they did not make it to the grand finale.. This was edge of your seat stuff, epsecially the end, one shock after another.

some reflections on the episode

Jack throwing MIB into the sea telling him John Locke told me i needed to stay.. I love the fact Jack now has faith in John Locke.

I still hope Jack will eventually fix John Locke in the sideways world, Ironic Locke and his father were injured in a plane crash, In the real timeline An airaplane crash fixed him, In this Alt. timeline it injures him.

How did the MIB :vmad: know there was a bomb on board the plane before he got on it - He took the watch from the dead bloke outside... and who planted it? Widmore or the elusive Richard and Ben gang - were are they anyway?

Jacks answer to Kates "what are you doing here" -"Im with Him" (The smoke monster rampaging though the jungle) - classic :D That was almost the line of the night if it wasnt for Jacks

There is no more Sayid :shocked1:

The scene on the beach at the end - OMG Time to break out the tissues :cry.3:

Ive just noticed we have our own smoke monster smilie - :vmad: - Fantastic :D

Mr. Brightside
May 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
I know...

(spoilers if you haven't seen the latest episode)

The producers said they did it to graphically spell out that Flocke (my fave MIB/fake-Locke name) is very much the villain and that he must be stopped. Until now there have been doubts that maybe he's the good guy and Jacob the baddie.

This weeks episode was a strange episode to say the least and the online community spat their dummies out after watching it, I wont say no more until you have seen it but it left me with more questions than answers..

My 2 favorite trailers for Lost this season - awesome

Episode 13

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_Xiim6nt8c

Episode 16 (no spoilers)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4ihUgELmhc

Narnia
May 15th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Sayid, Jin and Sun were my top favourite characters and throughout watching the entire show I always had faith in each of their characters, all the way to end.

But now with them gone .... I hope that it is Hurley who is the 'One' ... :)

BlueStar
May 15th, 2010, 04:18 PM
I must admit I was never that great a fan of Sayid, never quite warmed to him. Sun was lovely and I loved how Jin developed into a much nicer person as the series progressed. Their relationship was affecting, although not quite as much as Desmond and Penny (many of their scenes together make me teary eyed!).

I'm still fascinated by Jack from 'The Candidate'...I thought the character had lost the plot and wasn't sure what the writers had done with him, but I actually loved how he's taken a massive shift and after the Locke antagonism of earlier seasons has very much become Locke-ified! he's a true believer now. Maybe Locke's parting note to him affected him more than he realised. Never really been a massive fan of Jack (always a bit of a moaner!), but I do like this shift in his character evident in the previous episode. I really do miss Locke, he was one of my favourite characters - even when I didn't understand him one bit...but he's almost been resurrected in Jack. I do believe that Jack is the candidate now.

As for "Across the Sea", I'd heard it had gotten a very mixed response but I really liked it. Loved Alison Janey and the insight into the Jacob/MIB relationship was long overdue (BUT STILL NO NAME!!). It answered many questions but raised a lot as well - primarily, how did the light transform him into smokie?? I hope we learn more about this. I was fascinated by the light - it seems to relate to the electromagnetic properties of the island as documented before, but gives it a more mystical slant, which I love, but which many probably don't. I loved the little touches like the proto-backgammon game (which ties back to an early first season scene where Locke introduces the game to Walt and speaks of two sides, one light and the other dark) and the revelation of the identity of 'Adam and Eve'.

I've seen many comments from the actors and producers about the finale. All the actors claim to be very satisfied, some say it will be phenomenal, others are warning that some people will be disappointed, which I guess is inevitable. Michael Emerson has said he didn't 'get it' at first and that it may need to be watched more than once. I'm trying not to have any expectations, but am just going to trust we'll get a reasonably satisfying conclusion.

Mr. Brightside
May 15th, 2010, 07:50 PM
When I first watched "Across the Sea" I was dissapointed with it, Damon and Carlton have said this was the last real mythology epsode before the end and I suppose I was expecting a lot more than the reason Jacob and :vmad: are doing what they are doing was due to a crazy unknown stepmothers influence on their childhood. Even at the end they keep moving the begining of the story, The begining has changed so much over the years I thought at some point they would say "this is were it all started" and even though they did in a way, It didnt explain the glowing light, People going over to the dark side and The crazy women, Why smokie turned into black smoke when mixed with the light/energy, How does Jacobs touch have the power to transform peoples lives, and a whole lot more stuff. They said in the podcast about how far back you should you go with a story but doesnt a story need a begining and an end? If the begining of this story is Jacobs mother told him to protect the energy/light on the island and drink the jungle juice, Its a bit lame and could have been a lot better imo. I think in this season they are showing that in the end everything comes full circle. At the end of it I felt more sorry for the MIB than the Jacob. I thought the end with the flashbacks to season 1 and Adam and Eve was pretty cool, I doubt many people guessed who they were..

I have rewatched it since it first showed and its not as terrible as some people have said, It does have quite a few answers I just wish it didnt leave us with so many questions .

Surely the MIB has a name, If he doesnt because his mother had not picked one thats just stupid, maybe it will be revealed next week.

I agree with your comments about Locke, I miss him, he was my favorite character also but at the same time I think Terr O Quinn is excellent as :vmad: and I dont think anyone on the show could have played it better.

I am still optimistic that next weeks show is going to be incredible and in the end we will be satisfied and in time Across the sea will fit in better after we have seen the finale.

All in all though this has been an amazing season and I cant wait to watch the final next week :)

Mr. Brightside
May 15th, 2010, 08:32 PM
This is funny :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JBYlNTf-Q

Narnia
May 15th, 2010, 09:05 PM
This is funny :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8JBYlNTf-Q

HA!! That was really silly!! :)

BlueStar
May 16th, 2010, 01:21 PM
When I first watched "Across the Sea" I was dissapointed with it, Damon and Carlton have said this was the last real mythology epsode before the end and I suppose I was expecting a lot more than the reason Jacob and :vmad: are doing what they are doing was due to a crazy unknown stepmothers influence on their childhood. Even at the end they keep moving the begining of the story, The begining has changed so much over the years I thought at some point they would say "this is were it all started" and even though they did in a way, It didnt explain the glowing light, People going over to the dark side and The crazy women, Why smokie turned into black smoke when mixed with the light/energy, How does Jacobs touch have the power to transform peoples lives, and a whole lot more stuff. They said in the podcast about how far back you should you go with a story but doesnt a story need a begining and an end? If the begining of this story is Jacobs mother told him to protect the energy/light on the island and drink the jungle juice, Its a bit lame and could have been a lot better imo. I think in this season they are showing that in the end everything comes full circle. At the end of it I felt more sorry for the MIB than the Jacob. I thought the end with the flashbacks to season 1 and Adam and Eve was pretty cool, I doubt many people guessed who they were..

I have rewatched it since it first showed and its not as terrible as some people have said, It does have quite a few answers I just wish it didnt leave us with so many questions .

Surely the MIB has a name, If he doesnt because his mother had not picked one thats just stupid, maybe it will be revealed next week.

I agree with your comments about Locke, I miss him, he was my favorite character also but at the same time I think Terr O Quinn is excellent as :vmad: and I dont think anyone on the show could have played it better.

I am still optimistic that next weeks show is going to be incredible and in the end we will be satisfied and in time Across the sea will fit in better after we have seen the finale.

All in all though this has been an amazing season and I cant wait to watch the final next week :)

I think my expectations were lowered for Across the Sea after hearing it had gotten such a mixed from many fans, so I was pleasantly surprised. I found it gripping throughout and was eager to learn more and more. That said, it's not one of the best episodes - I didn't feel very pulled in emotionally by the characters and their motivations was a little disappointed by Jacob as he didn't seem to be a very dynamic character (I still love Mark Pellegrino's enigmatic performance though, he has the perfect aura about him to play Jacob. Great casting). There were lots of questions raised...I'm not that concerned about the details such as how did the wine make them immortal (simple answer: it just did!), but the major question that must be revealed is: what happened to Jacob's brother? Did he become the smoke monster or did the smoke monster already exist and simply assume his form? "A fate worse than death"...hmm. I suspect that the smoke monster already existed and somehow MERGED MIB's essence into itself. That's the answer I'm veering toward.

In the past the producers referred to the smoke monster as being like the island's 'security system'. This didn't seem to fit with what we've seen this season. But I am wondering now. Hopefully we will learn more about this. I don't read many forum posts, but I did find this one, which I think is quite a possible interpretation:

"Smokey was the island guard dog under the command of the island's protector. When not needed it was kept down the hole. Mother - the island's protector, got smokey to destroy the village. After MiB killed Mother (as she has planned all along), Jacob in a rage threw him down the hole. His body died but his essense merged with smokey. The two are now one merged creature ("a fate worse than death")."

From what I've seen of people's opinions on this ep (not referring to us guys of course!), most people are too focussed on the little details and lingering questions that they've missed some of the biggest, most important answers ever given. We now know what the whole series/scenario is about:

The island itself is somehow a conduit into light (and darkness). The light, which exists in everyone, is what draws people to the island - they want to use it and potentially abuse it, therefore it has to be protected. There has presumably been a long line of protectors, the earliest one we've seen being CJ from the West Wing ;) The protector has certain powers and seems able to manipulate events and people in order to secure a replacement for themselves when the time is necessary. One of the Oceanic survivors is now about to be crowned the island's next protector.

I think a lot of people are focused on the 'whys', such as WHY is the island a conduit into light and darkness? The only answer we'll likely get to questions like that is...it just IS. I can accept that. So I'm not too hung up on the 'whys'. I just want more information about the 'hows' and the true nature of the smoke monster and some of the most pressing questions, mainly relating to the characters and their fates.

I'm remembering the ending to Battlestar Galactica, which I liked but which many people felt was a cop-out...if I recall many of the big questions were answered simply with the blanket explanation that it was all 'God's will'!

Will be interesting to see how they have dealt with this. Lost is such an extraodrinarily complex and multi-layered feat of storytelling - has there ever been such a broad canvas for any TV series ever? Not long now to see how they've resolved it. Keeping my fingers crossed for something that's at least satisfying.

BlueStar
May 16th, 2010, 01:39 PM
LOved the video Sean!

Here's another really funny one from a couple of months ago: Lost fans are set to become even more annoying than ever! LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mbLbbNVRmtY

Mr. Brightside
May 16th, 2010, 02:42 PM
That video was funny, "emergency Lost shelter" lol Imagine trying to explain Lost to someone who has never watched the show, They would have the men in white coats coming to pick you up :D

This guy has some amazing recaps of episodes, This one for Across the Sea is very good

Dying Light: Counter-Culture in LOST 6.15 “Across the Sea” by Pearson Moore (http://www.sl-lost.com/2010/05/14/dying-light-counter-culture-in-lost-615-across-the-sea-by-pearson-moore/)

BlueStar
May 16th, 2010, 06:19 PM
Haha, I've tried to explain to non-Lost watchers what it's about in the past and even as the words came out of my mouth I realised how ridiculous it sounds :) One of those things you reeeeeally have to watch for yourself! Over the next couple of weeks, I think all our non-Lost watching family members and friends will have to be relocated to emergency Lost shelters for their own sanity and ours ;)

Thanks for the link Sean I will check it out! (edit: very insightful! Interesting!)

Mr. Brightside
May 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
My final theory on Desmonds Role before the final (which will probably be disproved by the next episode lol

Light, The warmest brightest Light you have ever felt, A little bit of this light is in everyone...

After watching Happily ever after again I think Desmond is definatley going to be the key to all this, He is going around leading people into situations were they find that little bit of light/love inside them, Remember his words in "Happily Ever After" I have to find the people who were on Oceanic 815, I have to show them something. He does, he needs to create that spark of love/goodness inside everyone just as Charlie did with him. Even with Sayid he managed to spark the goodness in him again and with Locke, I think he needed to get Jack and Locke together to begin Lockes healing process. He exposed himself to the light and therefore somehow become immune to the dark side and it created a situation in him that allowed him to see the future and both realities I think that is the reason he is special and on the island to show people that little bit of light/love that is inside them and is the only one who can do this. Maybe in the end he brings out the good side of Locke to defeat the smoke monster..

Maybe in the end, Love will conquer all :)

Redemption has been a constant theme of Lost, This is a cool video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MubhfjNJ8YY

Mr. Brightside
May 22nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
Love this fan made (I think) trailer for the final Episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1yHmUW05Y

Bens line this week asking The smoke monster if he wanted a glass of Lemonade after what he had done to Richard was classic..

Narnia
May 22nd, 2010, 02:27 PM
Love this fan made (I think) trailer for the final Episode

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz1yHmUW05Y

Bens line this week asking The smoke monster if he wanted a glass of Lemonade after what he had done to Richard was classic..

Ooooohhh! That gave me goosebumps .... that was gooood!! :)

BlueStar
May 22nd, 2010, 05:58 PM
WOW that trailer was EPIC!!

Watched "What they died for" this afternoon and it was great - very exciting! I am totally loving Desmond's mysterious mission in the alt-timeline - Desmond has always been one of my favourite characters and he is supremely awesome in this, for some reason he reminds me of Neo in the Matrix. My only slight disappointment were the deaths of (SPOILERS) Widmore & Richard which seemed too off-hand and a bit unsatisfying.

Cant wait for the finale, but I also don't want it to end. No other TV show interests me half as much as Lost, I will really miss it :(

Mr. Brightside
May 23rd, 2010, 12:23 PM
Loved What they died for, Has Ben gone back over to the dark side or is he playing Flocke? He was excellent in this episode especially his scene with Flocke on the porch, Do you want some Lemonade :) classic, He could have shot widmore to sop him telling Flocke what he needed to know or maybe it was just revenge for Alex, time will tell, Nice seing Mira Furlan (Danielle) make an appearance, especially not looking as she had been dragged through the jungle a few thousand times,. Loved the short scene on the beach at the very begining when they were all looking out to sea looking dishevelled and remembering the people who had died, Made you realise how far the had come since the crash and how many people had died, with Michael Giacchinos music playing in the background was very moving.

Richards death was very sudden and like you say Rory a bit unsatisfying, We never seen him land so in the back of my mind im hoping hes not dead but I dunno, Was a quick exit for such an important character if thats the last we see of him.

Line of the epsiode goes to miles when the smoke moster was coming - If you need me ill be running through the jungle :D

Last episode tonight :shok: Ah well All Good things... I suppose, I am looking forward to see how it all plays out but....I will miss it..

BlueStar
May 23rd, 2010, 02:46 PM
I think my favourite line of the week was from Miles, who I think is fantastic for his quirky one-liners: "I lived there thirty years before you did, also known as last week"

I will SOO miss this show! It's the ONLY thing on TV that really engages my imagination and gets me thinking. All in all, it's such an amazing feat of multi-layered storytelling.

I have been spending time reading through Lostpedia online, and it's really great for piecing it all together, so many bits that you tend to forget. I think most of the mysteries have largely been pieced together now - or as much as they will be. Certain things (for instance, what was the deal with Jacob's cabin?) will remain unanswered I suspect. I think the main mysteries to be solved are the alt-timeline and how it ties in and the fates of the characters and island.

My neighbour is a fellow Lost junkie and has invited me round to see the final ep, might have to wait til Tuesday though! Eek.

BlueStar
May 23rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Getting all excited ... and hoping the finale won't be a huge disappointment lol. I'm going round to my neighbours tomorrow and we're gonna watch together.

In the meantime - this has my vote as the best LOST parody, ever!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-DShnvNNv0

Mr. Brightside
May 23rd, 2010, 07:20 PM
Great Video Rory :)

Im giving up a respectable career as a spinal surgeon to protect a light from a cloud :smile.2:

Lost in a nutshell lol

BlueStar
May 24th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Don't worry I won't give away any spoilers until I know everyone's seen it...but WOW. My head is reeling - it will take a long time to digest that! It's a bit mind-bending and it leaves many questions - but then Lost was never about spoon-feeding us answers. There's probably enough to join the dots ourselves (with the help of Lostpedia!) It was an incredible piece of television, epic on an unbelievable scale and so SO emotional. I was fighting back tears all the way through it (which is quite embarrassing when you're in someone else's house ;)). Will have to watch it again, but I'm very satisfied with the ending - it's bold and, to me, very very moving. I still feel like crying.

Hope everyone else enjoys it :) I might as well sell my TV now - cos, for me, nothing else remotely near this calibre. Lost was something special and I'll miss it so much.

Mr. Brightside
May 24th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I thought the finale was beautiful and epic, I watched it earlier and I dont think I have ever been moved so much by watching a TV show. Ok a lot of things were left unanswered and a lot of people are still scatching thier heads (including me) but It was a fantastic ending and a lot more spiritual and meaningful than I expected it to be.

I loved trying to figure it out all the mysteries over the 6 years and what was going on (and to be honest am still trying to wrap my head around some events) and I also think it was wonderful the way it got people to discuss and theorise about subjects they would probably never even think about.

In the end though Lost really was about the characters, it was about redemption relationships, faith, friendship, sacrifice, and love. It was an amazing journey, a glimpse into the lives of ordinary people who were lost and emotionaly scarred but threw into extrodinary circumstances and learning to survive, To get along with each other but most of all helping each other find Peace Love and Meaning in their Lives and in Death.

I wont spoil it for anybody who has not seen it yet. I will wait to discuss any specific points about the finale, It was an amazing ending to a wonderful show. I will miss it, but watching it again from the perspective of knowing the end will be fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6xrBuKrij4&feature=related

Narnia
May 24th, 2010, 07:59 PM
For the short period it took me to watch the entire show ... I was moved deeply by the ending .... yes, there are many unanswered questions, but I find myself not really bothered by that .... and still the urge to get all teary eyed is close at hand thinking about all the beautiful Love that was finally recognized in the end.

And Sean - it doesn't surprise me that you would find a video like the one you just posted ... :) .... that had me teary eyed as well!

It has been fun sharing this journey of Lost with you guys .... I only watched because of you guys ... thank you!! :giveheart

When Jack's Dad ... said they created that place ... the church ... to find and to be together once again ... I thought of MW. :)

Mr. Brightside
May 24th, 2010, 08:13 PM
It has been fun sharing this journey of Lost with you guys .... I only watched because of you guys ... thank you!! :giveheart

When Jack's Dad ... said they created that place ... the church ... to find and to be together once again ... I thought of MW. :)

Funny you should should say that because as I was writing this

To get along with each other but most of all helping each other find Peace Love and Meaning in their Lives and in Death.

I thought the same thing, This could be about MW ;)

really glad you enjoyed it Polly, Im sure everybody on this site would enjoy it, It has so much meaning and will go down as one the best TV shows of all time Im sure :)

Mr. Brightside
May 25th, 2010, 12:30 AM
If your still confused about the finale this summary from somebody from Bad Robot (The creators of Lost) is worth reading

Lost Summary (http://forum.lostpedia.com/someone-bad-robots-take-finale-t59261.html)

A piece from the article explaining the sideways world

Sideways world is where it gets really cool in terms of theology and metaphysical discussion (for me at least -- because I love history/religion theories and loved all the talks in the writer's room about it). Basically what the show is proposing is that we're all linked to certain people during our lives. Call them soulmates (though it's not exactly the best word). But these people we're linked to are with us duing "the most important moments of our lives" as Christian said. These are the people we move through the universe with from lifetime to lifetime. It's loosely based in Hinduisim with large doses of western religion thrown into the mix.

The conceit that the writers created, basing it off these religious philosophies, was that as a group, the Lostaways subconsciously created this "sideways" world where they exist in purgatory until they are "awakened" and find one another. Once they all find one another, they can then move on and move forward. In essence, this is the show's concept of the afterlife. According to the show, everyone creates their own "Sideways" purgatory with their "soulmates" throughout their lives and exist there until they all move on together. That's a beautiful notion. Even if you aren't religious or even spirtual, the idea that we live AND die together is deeply profound and moving.

BlueStar
May 25th, 2010, 02:42 PM
Thanks for the summary and the Enigma/Lost video Sean - how wonderful!

I find it so interesting the polarisation of opinion over the finale - to me it clearly spells the division between people that are head-based and people that are heart-based. I can't help but feel the people who only cared about learning facts and information had completely missed the point of the whole series - and probably life itself. Ultimately I realised 'the answers' were the superficial part, the mere details. The core and heart of the show was about love, life, death, purpose and redemption. It's funny, when describing the finale to someone who has never watched it but was interested, they commented that it sounded a bit like my novel to them...and I can see some similarities! So I had to like it lol.

The alternate reality/'purgatory' theme is a wonderful metaphor for spiritual awakening - not even so much in the afterlife, but in this life. We wander about in an ultimately illusory world, thinking we are a certain person in a certain situation...but eventually we awaken and realise that we are so much more. We realise who we are and that the essence of life is to let go and move deeper into the light.

Yup, the Lost finale exceeded my expectations and was one of the most beautiful and moving things I've ever seen on television. It affected me and has stayed with me long after watching it. I'm so grateful to the creators for creating such a wonderful series and such a powerful and life-affirming and spiritually enlightening finale. I am going to have to invest in the DVDs I think and watch it again from the start :)

BlueStar
May 26th, 2010, 03:47 PM
Oh - I wanted to say that Polly, I thought of you when I saw the very end where Vincent came and lay next to Jack! I remember how you stated that Vincent had to have some significance. If I hadn't already been absolutely choked with tears I would have been by then. As one of the things I saw on twitter said: "the final lesson of Lost: dogs are awesome." Very moving to see the mirror image of the first moments of the show but in reverse...and very moving seeing Vincent comfort Jack as he passed over. Someone else noted that 'dog' is an anagram of 'God' ;)

Genesis
May 28th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I've watched the End Adleast twice now; (friends of mine tend to think i OD when i insist to view it more then once) But like life, there are so many connections that we never catch the first time around. All the questions will never be fully answered because like life, when one question is answered,another pops up. Its just the nature of things.
The Island, which I tend to believe, was that metaphor of life. Its stood as that "Magic Box where anything you want will be in it." This was hinted at in seasons past. IT was something that forced people to look at themselves, look at others, and face/confront problems and issues that may have been holding them back from moving on.
I just recently finished watching "The Walkabout" (which, to my belief is the best episode from LOST, period. Hulu.com it if you havent seen it, its absolutely stellar, must see- breathtaking - First Season.) and the message where John keeps saying "Dont tell me what I can and cannot do!" keeps sticking out in my head.
Sometimes to get to the things we want, we do things we never thought we could do, or would have never thought to do.
Its a real life-in-motion observation on the human nature.

I just loved it. And I feel most of the questions we did care about were answered - we had closure for these characters, which were the story.

BlueStar
May 28th, 2010, 07:12 PM
I enjoyed this quite lengthy analysis of the Lost finale - well-observed and insightful! I liked the way it explained what happened with MIB/Smokie/Flocke, it makes perfect sense.

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20313460_20387946,00.html